Carrot Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastLord

Reaction score
This was begun on Sept 8th. Again I followed the CJJ Berry recipe but with a slight tweak.

CARROT WINE
Ingredients:
75cl bottle of James White carrot juice
1 lb. wheat
4 lb. sugar
2 oranges
2 lemons
1 tablespoonful raisins
Yeast and nutrient
Spring water to 1 gallon

Method:
In a bowl put the sugar, sliced oranges and lemons and pour over hot water*. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, and then stand until lukewarm.
Then add the chopped raisins, carrot juice, nutrient and wheat and sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave to ferment, closely covered, for 15 days, stirring daily. Then skim, strain and put into fermenting jar. Fit trap and leave until it is clear and stable. Then bottle. Keep almost a year (from the start of the fermentation) before drinking.

*I don't have the amount of hot water I added to hand but it was 8pts less 75cl (the carrot juice volume) plus 38floz (the volume 4lb of sugar adds to a gallon).

I emailed James White and a helpful lady said that while yields of juice can vary the average per 75cl bottle was just over a kilo of carrots. Good to know. (I considered two bottles of juice but it seemed overkill.)

As it was a 4lb sugar recipe I used Gervin high alcohol wine yeast. The initial SG was 1170 (which is off the scale of my chart in the Berry book) so I don't know if I made a mistake but seems reasonable to possibly be right. It fermented well over the 15 days and I think it's finished now. I will take another reading soon. Be very interested to see what the final SG is!

Latest posts

Back