Grain crusher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Its time I started crushing my own grain but know nothing about grain mills therefore please can anyone recommend a good one.

I am tempted to purchase this one but know nothing it. :hmm:

s-l500.png

Thats a good mill to get. It's what's known as a 'roller mill'. I have a knock off corona mill which is good for the price (£20) but if I could afford one I'd get a roller mill and it'd probably be a bulldog one

Its time I started crushing my own grain but know nothing about grain mills therefore please can anyone recommend a good one.

I am tempted to purchase this one but know nothing it. :hmm:

That's the one I have and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got this mill and it's great. It takes a bit of trial and error with any mill to set the gap to suit your particular requirements, mine's set to the width of a credit card.

I've got this mill too. The only thing I've found with it is the washer/spacer on the "drive" shaft has the tendency to "jump" off every so often which means one end of the rollers isn't as close as they should be. An easy fix each time mind :thumb:

The one that you've linked has cold rolled steel rollers.
Yes I spotted that after I had posted, I take it the hopper is stainless. In the end I purchased the one on Amazon anyway. Thank you for all the help everyone.

I'm jealous. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I was umming and ahhhing about this one or the Bulldog (especially given that it is available for £69.99 at present). The reported build quality and the lifetime warranty swung it in favour of the barley-crusher.

One little hazard with theses grain mills ...

You can drive them with a power drill. Useful when you've got bored a winding the handle. But my 12V battery drill was just not up to it. So try a mains powered drill... Hold on to the crusher! My first try and the crusher upended as it attempted to go round and round. Grain everywhere. :smile:

One little hazard with theses grain mills ...

You can drive them with a power drill. Useful when you've got bored a winding the handle. But my 12V battery drill was just not up to it. So try a mains powered drill... Hold on to the crusher! My first try and the crusher upended as it attempted to go round and round. Grain everywhere. :smile:

I have the bulldog mill and it powers through with my 10.8v Dewalt drill no problem. Voltage is not always an indication of torque of drills, especially diy ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would've bought one if budget and space allowed. Now I have something like this.
It does the job, but the margin is huge: either some grain goes uncrushed, or some grain gets close to flour.
Oh well, it's way better than nothing. And it has that oldschool artisan look. And the smell is as great as from a roller mill!

Back