keggle Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
I am just looking at my keg and deciding if I should use it to build a wort boiling pot. First thing is the size, it is 25 inches high , not sure how many litres that is but my concern is once the wort has cooled lifting it. I assume that I am correct and folk lift them onto a higher surface from the gas burner as opposed to pumping? Hence I am erring on trying to source a 30 litre keg as easier to lift.

My other question would be what would I need to make it into a fully functioning boil pot? From my research I would say the bare minimum is a ball vale outlet, a false bottom or something to stop particles flowing into the stream when it empties and a thremo pocket. Now I know you can add a sight gauge but is that really needed?

On the subject of the outlet tap my keg has an outlet already in at about 35 mm from the base which is concave. So I guess I am better using that outlet as already there as opposed to drilling the base which I have also seen.

Thanks for any advice.

Must dash as off to source a kettle element :)
Cheers

Pete

A photograph would help.

I just whirlpool the wort after it has been cooled (to oxygenate the wort and move the debris to the centre of the boiler), let it settle for 15 minutes and then take it off direct without any filtration.

The 35mm high ball valve currently installed on your keg sounds ideal. As a result of another Post, I am currently considering attaching a clean stainless steel scouring pad to the outlet to act as a filter and this may be an option for yourself.

Why do you need a thermowell? It is a "boiler" and it will boil at whatever temperature it needs to boil; this being somewhere slightly above 100 degrees celsius. :thumb:

Here's a photo of my own 32 litre boiler. The jacket is to reduce heat loss during the boil.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Boiler Jacket1.jpg

A photograph would help.

I just whirlpool the wort after it has been cooled (to oxygenate the wort and move the debris to the centre of the boiler), let it settle for 15 minutes and then take it off direct without any filtration.

The 35mm high ball valve currently installed on your keg sounds ideal. As a result of another Post, I am currently considering attaching a clean stainless steel scouring pad to the outlet to act as a filter and this may be an option for yourself.

Why do you need a thermowell? It is a "boiler" and it will boil at whatever temperature it needs to boil; this being somewhere slightly above 100 degrees celsius. :thumb:

Here's a photo of my own 32 litre boiler. The jacket is to reduce heat loss during the boil.

Enjoy! :thumb:

This is where I say ''Dohh''.....yes your correct no need for a pocket if a boiler, lots to take in and scrambled my mind :-?

I am erring on the side of just buying a ready made pot as by the time I factor in the parts, postage, additional tools I need and time then the more tempting ready made pots are looking.

As I am only going to be doing 23 ltr batches I am guessing that a 32 litr pot is quite adequate?

The other benefit is it will be far easier to lift onto the work top once it has cooled.

Cheers

Pete

This is where I say ''Dohh''.....yes your correct no need for a pocket if a boiler, lots to take in and scrambled my mind :-?

I am erring on the side of just buying a ready made pot as by the time I factor in the parts, postage, additional tools I need and time then the more tempting ready made pots are looking.

As I am only going to be doing 23 ltr batches I am guessing that a 32 litr pot is quite adequate?

The other benefit is it will be far easier to lift onto the work top once it has cooled.

Cheers

Pete

I always do 23 litre brews so "Yes" to the 32 litre pot.

Also, apart from the weight, I recommend cooling BEFORE lifting 'cos hot wort is as sticky as Mum's jam tarts used to be!

An Ullage Stick helps you know what's in the pot, without getting it covered with hot/sticky wort.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Ullage Stick.jpg

Back