Sticky labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Some bottles have labels that are stuck on better than a crust on an old British Rail pie used to be :!:

I usually leave them in very hot water and most come off easily, but some are using plastic labels and these are a bugger to shift :!: anyone any ideas apart from scratching up a corner and peeling them off :roll: mind you some paper labels take some shifting :!:

Soak in very hot water with oxyaction added . . . if labels float off drain and reuse bottle . . . if label does not shift . . . throw into recycling bin and don't buy that beer again.

Life is to short to waste any more time than that. :lol:

Baz Chaz said:
some are using plastic labels and these are a bugger to shift :!: anyone any ideas apart from scratching up a corner and peeling them off
Fill the bottle with hot water, keeping the outside dry. Leave for a few minutes before scratching up a corner and peeling them off.

Some will peel with the glue on the label, others will leave the glue on the glass. You can try to shift it with white spirit if you can be bothered, although I would chuck them straight back in the recycling.

I used to use wd40 to get the glue off now I just dont bother with the bottles and only use fullers bottles ( nice and heavy easy to get label off and nice beer to boot)

Aleman said:
Soak in very hot water with oxyaction added . . . if labels float off drain and reuse bottle . . . if label does not shift . . . throw into recycling bin and don't buy that beer again.

buy :eek: I gave up buying beer when I started brewin my own :thumb: I'll give the sticky labels one last go using the tips above :thumb:

rather ironic that the stickiest worst plastic labels to shift are ..... on an organic beer :wha: :lol: the brewery is only just up the road from us, might call in and ask them to use something more recycling friendly :hmm: ;)

Baz Chaz said:
Aleman said:

buy :eek: I gave up buying beer when I started brewin my own :thumb:
How else am I to get bottles? I'm not going to go and buy them from LHBS as I can get them for the same cost with Beer in from the Supermarket. I don't frequent any pubs so don't feel right asking the landlord for a rummage in his bins . . . and if I did I'd only go for Magners/Bulmers bottles anyway . . . and those labels come off a dream.

I only bottle beer for competitions so only want 'Pint' ones . . . I do use the Bernard Brown 'grolsch' type flip tops as well

And getting bottles from other peoples recycling bins while easy means more time spent cleaning them . . . . see my post above

I'm lucky ;) a mate of mine owns the local restaurant and he saves all the bottles for me :thumb:

How many do you need I can box up spares for you but you'd need to collect :?:

Moley said:
Fill the bottle with hot water, keeping the outside dry. Leave for a few minutes before scratching up a corner and peeling them off.

Some will peel with the glue on the label, others will leave the glue on the glass. You can try to shift it with white spirit if you can be bothered, although I would chuck them straight back in the recycling.

Cheers Moley :thumb: never thought of 'heating them from the inside' to soften the glue :wha: now have an extra couple of dozen bottles .......... which I'm going to fill this afternoon :cheers:

I have found that filling them with hot water then submerging them in a hot sink with a little bleach added
shifts most labels, if this still leaves the gunky stuff behind fill em with hot water again soak the gunk in
cooking oil (the fry light spray stuff works well) leave for a while then rub off the oil with some cotton wool!
As for the plastic labels if they dont peel off first time - get rid!
Tesco's doing a beer at the moment called Bernard Dark (in the Lager section) a very nice drop of beer
but the big bonus- dark bottles come with old grolsch style flip top lids and the labels slide off after
10 mins soaking - everyones a winner!!

If they wont shift by soaking, scrape em off with a paint scraper, then any glue deposits can be removed with a bit of rag & lighter fluid (not too much) if you can be botherd with all that :hmm: just stay away from any naked flames :P :? Personally I would buy another bottle of beer :drink: :drink:

Latest posts

Back