Shopping List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmcmechan

Reaction score
Here's the stuff on my shopping list. Being a nbewbie some of this stuff might be unnecessary, so just wondered what i would really need and what i could do without:

(I'll just be brewing beer, or cider in a fermentation vessel and transferring to a keg, prob one brew a month; then when finish in keg i'll store in bottles)

1. Nylon Bottle Brush
2. Bottle Rinser / Steriliser
3. Syphon Tube Clip
4. Tap for Fermentation Vessel
5. Bottle Drainer
6. CO2 injector barrell cap for the keg
7. Trial jar

Thanks!

PS the kit i have already is a Fermentation Vessell, Bubbler, Long handled mixing spoon, syphone tube, hydrometer, sterilising powder, pressure keg, plastic bottles (ones you can do secondary fermentation in)

1. Nylon Bottle Brush - essential :thumb:
2. Bottle Rinser / Steriliser - don't know what you mean
3. Syphon Tube Clip - clips and taps are useful :thumb:
4. Tap for Fermentation Vessel - personal preference, I don't like them, don't see how you would sterilise them and none of my FVs have them.
5. Bottle Drainer - if you mean a plastic bottle tree, useful but not essential. I have a board which goes over the sink with 30-35mm diameter holes cut through it, neck of bottle goes through hole.
6. CO2 injector barrell cap for the keg - desirable.
7. Trial jar - almost essential, get a clear one, plastic might bounce but glass usually doesn't.

Hi Nick & welcome.. :thumb:

It's hard to give someone a "shopping list"....like Moley said he has a board which goes over the sink to drain bottles..as you get into brewing you will come up with ideas of how to do a certain job..no need to spend money if you don't have to..save that for the malt & hops.. :lol:

If you surf the posts that are on the forum you will pick up so much info...or search for what you want...even bookmark them for now so you have the info to hand...one thing to remember keep everything as clean as you can.

There's all you need to know right here..you have all the basic kit for now...get stuck in & party :party:

Moley said:
1. Nylon Bottle Brush - essential :thumb:
2. Bottle Rinser / Steriliser - don't know what you mean
3. Syphon Tube Clip - clips and taps are useful :thumb:
4. Tap for Fermentation Vessel - personal preference, I don't like them, don't see how you would sterilise them and none of my FVs have them.
5. Bottle Drainer - if you mean a plastic bottle tree, useful but not essential. I have a board which goes over the sink with 30-35mm diameter holes cut through it, neck of bottle goes through hole.
6. CO2 injector barrell cap for the keg - desirable.
7. Trial jar - almost essential, get a clear one, plastic might bounce but glass usually doesn't.

Brillaint! Thanks for the help!!! :cheers:

Moley said:
darrenwest1 said:
that rinser is a strange looking beast
i just soak mine in a bucket
What he said.

thanks, looks like a gimmic, take it you just use sterisling solution in a bucket, then rinse a few times until all the chlorine smell is away and drip dry after?

Spot on :thumb:

Thinking about it a bit more, that gizmo wouldn't work with bleach or Milton or any of the regular cleaner/steriliser powders you could buy from a regular homebrew shop, because your bottles need to be completely filled or totally immersed and left for typically 15-30 minutes.

It might work with some of the liquids which you won't find in any regular homebrew shop.

Works well with videne/starsan or peracetic though for a final blast of sanitiser before filling ;)

I too have the bottle squirter thing, sorry lads but a quick squirt of starsan with that is just so much easier than soaking then multiple rinsing. I also think the bottle tree is a brilliant idea, it saves so much space. I'm not so convinced by my new bench capper though.... maybe the bottles will stop sticking in it once it's had a bit more use.

Aleman said:
Works well with videne/starsan or peracetic though for a final blast of sanitiser before filling ;)
Incidentally, why are you such a fan of peracetic acid? Just looking at the stuff scares me, but it would appear to be no stronger an oxidising agent than H2O2, an altogether more pleasant liquid, but still pretty strongly anti-life! Sorts out the black mould in the shower and on the window seals pretty neatly.

Those bottle squirters are very good, I fill mine with videne or peracetic acid solution :thumb:

timbim said:
Aleman said:
Incidentally, why are you such a fan of peracetic acid?
Because it is pretty much as close to a total chemical sterilant there is, and at no rinse concentrations. . . . Yeah you have to be careful with the concentrated (usually 5%) liquid, but in reality no more so than say 80ºC caustic. but you can dilute the concentrated liquid 1 in 266 for misting applications and know that nothing is going to live in there any more. . . . It breaks down into water, oxygen and acetic acid, all of which are not harmful to beer (Or more importantly us) in the residual quantities remaining.

And I get it at a good price from a brewery contact . . .(Although that is the 15% peracid :shock: and trust me I am really careful when handling that!!) . . . It is the only chemical in the brewery that I don gloves and eye protection for.

Is it enormously more effective than H2O2 though? Seems to be an equal if not weaker oxidising agent. The only consolation on the MSDS is that it probably won't burn easily!

I suppose any residue won't form oxygen like peroxide would, but then unless it's toxic or chlorine anything at rinse conc will make sod all difference to the flavour of 500ml.

I really need to get hold of a decent steriliser for my PET bottles, what's best for no rinse ideally applied via a mister or transfer through multiple bottles, that's also reasonably cheap? I suspect videne in an acidic solution will be a decent bet, but any other suggestions?

Tim

Latest posts

Back