The Big Bang Brewing Co - A Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homers brew

Reaction score
Right them. I have been accumulating many items over the last few months with the intention of starting this brewery build.

I am progressing from my 5-gall heath robinson setup, to something slightly more robust. No more balancing plastic boilers 5 foot in the air to sparge.

My first brewery is shown here.
DSCN3074.jpg

And this is the site of the build, my garage.
DSCN3073.jpg

So far, the bit I have collected include:

3 off stainless vessels at approx 160-170 litres each (I haven't measured them yet). These originated from Shane (uncle pumble). Thanks mate.
DSCN3062.jpg

One false bottom, coming from the workshop of one muddydisco. Thanks again. Some good workmanship there - I can see why you have a queue.
DSCN3071.jpg

DSCN3070.jpg

A foker gas burner and gas.
DSCN3063.jpg

DSCN3069.jpg

Two totton pumps.
DSCN3066.jpg

3 off Pt100s, PIDs and SSRs.
DSCN3064.jpg

An imersion cooler from my original 5-gallon brewery, although I can see this requiring upgrading shortly. And some gas hose, regulator and clear hose curtosy of Vossey. Cheers.
DSCN3065.jpg

I was planning to use this as a fermentor until I can get something more robust.
DSCN3068.jpg

And finally a few bottles, although I do put my beers in cories nowadays.
DSCN3067.jpg

Right then, thats the equipment list so far... I hope to update this thread as I carry out the build, although I can see it taking a while as I work away, and am generally acosted to do family things at the weekend so have to squeeze in the time as and when available.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

170 litres :shock: .......looks fantastic, good luck with it :thumb:

Good luck dude.
Shall be watching with interest, I wish Now I had some of them of shane as well!!!

:cool:

Continuing on from the previous post, the plan is to build a single layer RIMS system, possibly including a valentines arm (because I like the simplicity of this) and underback to pump from following on from the mash tun. Also to possibly include a hopback although this could be included later on.

The RIMS will be controlled via one of the temp controllers and I am planning with experimenting with the PT100 in the mash rather than following the output of the RIMS container/vessel as most people seem to do.

So lots to do yet, including return manifold, RIMS system, sparge arm (although I am not sure if i can get away with the approx 12" one from previous brewery for a start), and maybe an improved chiller.

Also on the list of things to buy is a stirring paddle as I can't see the small plastic one I have currenly performing too well.

Oh, and I have pipe threading equipment (I was considering hard piped initially). Any thoughts?

I am sure there is more I have forgotten, but hopefully over time it will start coming together.

unclepumble said:
looks good, lets just hope you get it together quicker than i did mine.
:thumb:

UP

Doubt it, hope no one is holding their breath. It has took 6 months for me to clear out the garage.

I am open to any suggestions anyone has by the way.

homers brew said:
Doubt it, hope no one is holding their breath. It has took 6 months for me to clear out the garage.

Give them to me and I'll make them work in 3 weeks and I'll give you them back in 6 monthsto a year and you've not lost anything cos you wouldn't of built them by then! :lol:

muddydisco said:
Give them to me and I'll make them work in 3 weeks and I'll give you them back in 6 monthsto a year and you've not lost anything cos you wouldn't of built them by then! :lol:
Opportunist, I can't fault you :mrgreen:

muddydisco said:
homers brew said:

Tempting offer. But half the fun is in the building. It's just time that is a bit restricted at the moment.

Not looking forward to drilling them vessels, the are really well made.

homers brew said:
muddydisco said:
[quote="homers brew":g2sjko8e]

Tempting offer. But half the fun is in the building. It's just time that is a bit restricted at the moment.

Not looking forward to drilling them vessels, the are really well made.[/quote:g2sjko8e]

Plenty of cutting fluid and a new starrett cutter, (dont use a cheap one) and a battery drill on a very slow speed, so it doesn't work harden.

It takes a bit of time to do but works well.

An imersion cooler from my original 5-gallon brewery, although I can see this requiring upgrading shortly.
I think you may be needing a plate heat exchanger rapido.

UP

unclepumble said:
An imersion cooler from my original 5-gallon brewery, although I can see this requiring upgrading shortly.
I think you may be needing a plate heat exchanger rapido.

UP

Yep, I agree, can you just tell my missus the same and I'll stand by you :whistle: . I also need a conical while your there. ;)

Had a little time at work today to sketch something out.....

Brew_01.jpg

I will probably not include the hopback and possibly the underback/valentines arm initially to get me underway - I will see how it goes.

I only have two pumps at the moment though, so I may need to reconfigure this drawing to reuse one of them in another path.

Can anyone see any problems......is the design ok?

Hop back before the heat exchanger . . Gives ou the opportunity to put a stainless mesh filter in there and protect your heat exchanger

Looks great! if you don't use the beer crates i could give them a good home...

(in exchange for cash or grain?)

gailincheltenham said:
Looks great! if you don't use the beer crates i could give them a good home...

(in exchange for cash or grain?)

How many are you after?

I can get my hands on a few of these, although I'm not prepared to post them - I think it would be a bit arkward.

They hold 12 bottles generally, I think they were originally for pop bottles, rather than beer bottles.

Cue Queue.

I've ordered some more bits and with any luck will be putting it together this weekend....

So far the hop stopper.....I may need to cut it down a bit....
IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

And the hopback filter have been built....
IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

More on the way shortly....

Latest posts

Back