Xanthan gum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? Are you lactose intolerant? Are you having mysterious reactions to gluten-free products? We're not. How much lactose is left after that processing anyway?

"Guar gum, by comparison, whilst processed to some extent is the powder from the gum of the guar bean so it’s far more natural and should pose less allergy risk."
Wheat is natural, but it's what my wife and son can't have. "Natural" means zilch. Belladonna is 'natural' but it'll kill you.

That's the cleaned up version.

Make up a sugar solution.
add bugs
bugs eat sugar and ****
use IPA to get the **** out of solution
dry and package.

I used to work for the manufacture, it's good stuff very low incidence of allergy's and the body treats it as liquid roughage.

ATB aamcle

PS. It's chemically similar to snot.

Sorry to hear about your wife & son oldbloke-you obviously have more experience with intolerances in your house.

Yes-some things do cause a very unpleasant reaction for me, & mostly they seem to be additives or preservatives.

I react very badly to some sulphites derived from dairy (very painful cystitis like symptoms that last for about a week) that are found in some commercial wines.Some Chinese food will trigger a sinusitis like reaction that will give me grief for about a week also.Supermarket thai/chinese pastes do the same.

I do keep a food diary when the reactions happen & one of my triggers seems to be dairy derived additives,of which Xanthan gum may be one,MSG may well be another.

I have no problems with gluten,nuts,shellfish,wheat or everyday dairy products.

Sorry if I have caused offence.

processwise doesnt seem worse than cheese or beer making, however i do agree more transparency with food would be a good thing but not something the manufacturers will ever want to put on the box

BIGJIM72 said:
Sorry to hear about your wife & son oldbloke-you obviously have more experience with intolerances in your house.

Only gluten, really, though The Lad was mildly lactose intolerant when very young - as was I. But that was at a grow-out-of-able level. The gluten thing's a pain, though shops and restaurants are getting better at it lately.

BIGJIM72 said:
I react very badly to some sulphites derived from dairy (very painful cystitis like symptoms that last for about a week) that are found in some commercial wines.Some Chinese food will trigger a sinusitis like reaction that will give me grief for about a week also.Supermarket thai/chinese pastes do the same.

I do keep a food diary when the reactions happen & one of my triggers seems to be dairy derived additives,of which Xanthan gum may be one,MSG may well be another.

I have no problems with gluten,nuts,shellfish,wheat or everyday dairy products.

Sorry if I have caused offence.

Not at all, just be careful about giving too much weight to stuff you see on the more "out there" websites.
I hope you can manage to pinpoint what it is that's giving you grief. Odd that you seem to have trouble with some lactose-derived stuff but not dairy itself.
Have you tried getting your GP to refer you to an allergy clinic? They can run lots of 'fun' tests

I react to brazil nuts, no idea what that is (selenium maybe?), and some beers give me the same reaction - again no idea why.

I've known this years, it doesn't phase me at all.

I'm lactose intolerant to an extent but only with certain products, I can't drink large amounts of milk without being confined to the toilet for a couple of hours in the middle of the night for example. But I can have it on my cereal in the morning no problems.

If some chinese food gives you a sore head it could be a reaction to MSG. I know people who get migraines because of it. A lot of chinese takeaways add it to food.

DirtyCaner said:
If some chinese food gives you a sore head it could be a reaction to MSG. I know people who get migraines because of it. A lot of chinese takeaways add it to food.

I recall an episode of Neighbours from about 30 years ago where somebody was hospitalised due to MSG sensitivity

Latest posts

Back