first time s30 user - losing pressure too quick

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Hi all, for my latest brew (razorback IPA) I got a replacement cap for my 'homebrew online' barrel, with a hambleton bard valve to replace the standard pressure release one. After two weeks carbing and three conditioning I starting drinking it. All good at first, then after three or four pints over as many days serving pressure went awol. I used my first co2 bulb (which made me jump!) and it was ok again, briefly. Just another three or four pints, five maybe, over three days and it's just lost pressure again.
I don't see that it's a bad seal on the lid's o-ring, the only other thing I can think of is that the barrel is in an outside shed at something like 5-10*C - too cold maybe?
Am I missing something? At this rate I'll be using nearly 10 gas bulbs to get it all out!

Many thanks in advance, Kev

At cooler temps beer(most liquids) will be able to absorb more gas.. check out a keg conditioning chart for an idea of the relationship between absorbed co2 temp and pressure in a keg http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

So your added co2 increases the pressure inside the PB which with the lower temp will encourage some of the co2 to get absorbed by the beer perhaps,

it will be a gradual increase in condition of the beer but you may notice a difference after a few weeks IF you maintain a high pressure in the PB

its all good so dont worry ;)

As the barrel is pretty full the pressure in the head space drops quickly as beer is pulled off. Pressure drop will reduce as the head space increased.

I find once the initial pressure from priming has gone (about a third to halfway in), I need another three or four bulbs over the course of the rest of the barrel.

You might have a leak, we're making beer at work and our first barrel hasn't carbed at all after priming so I'm assuming it has a leak. Barrels tend not to be very reliable.

Back