Pressure barrel leak!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidCrisp

Reaction score
Ale brewing newbie looking for help with my minor homebrew emergency!

Just racked up my first ever homebrew into a pressure barrel for secondary fermentation and discovered a leak around the tap (my own fault. I thought the connection was tight enough and didn't lube it up!). It's only a small leak but it's enough.

For now, I've tipped the barrel onto its side so that the air bubble is by the tap to stop the leak. Trouble now is it's depressurised and I'm concerned that the beer will go off. I'm hoping to keep it in the barrel for about 4 weeks.

I've got a barrel cap with the ability to add co2, so could I just leave it on its side and gas it up when I want to crack it open? Failing that, given it's day 2 of conditioning, should I remove the tap, sterilise and lube it and replace it quickly? Or is this just asking for trouble letting air in?

Any advice? Help!

if you only primed it 2 days ago it should still pressure up again if it does not just put some more sugar in and re prime it

Thanks Mick. Only thing is I've not been able to stop the leak. I just tried tightening it up by giving it a quarter turn but to no good.

you should be able to remove the tap and replace without a problem. I have done this with a tap with a split thread (check yours does not have a split thread when it is removed). If lubing the seal/washer be careful you do not over tighten as this may force it out. Always handy to have a spare tap just in case.

a good wrap of foodsafe ptfe (plumbers tape) will help seal it and also add some body to the thread allowing you to line it up neatly for the pour..

good luck..

Back