Yeast washing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Price777

Reaction score
Is yeast washing worth it or is it easy and cheap enough just to go out and buy it

Especially once you move onto liquid yeasts which are ~£7 on average, it's great to be able to store the yeast and use it multiple times. I frequently split my 23L batches into two fermentors so I can pitch two different yeasts and see how they turn out. Great way to learn about different strains and their flavours.

Reusing yeast isn't the same as washing yeast, you don't need to wash yeast to store it and reuse it in a future brew. A lot of respected sources don't recommend washing yeast anymore, in most cases it is better to store yeast under beer.

Yeast certainly isn't cheap so finding a way to reuse it makes sense. Personally, I prefer overbuilding but top cropping or harvesting after fermentation are both techniques that work.

Reusing yeast isn't the same as washing yeast, you don't need to wash yeast to store it and reuse it in a future brew. A lot of respected sources don't recommend washing yeast anymore, in most cases it is better to store yeast under beer.

Yeast certainly isn't cheap so finding a way to reuse it makes sense. Personally, I prefer overbuilding but top cropping or harvesting after fermentation are both techniques that work.

He's right. I used to wash mine but the ones I did that with had a higher percentage of short shelf life. You can decant but then I like to give it some wort to work on and store with. All those ones stay healthy for a long time.

Sorry to be pedantic but that is yeast rinsing. Yeast washing involves using acids and is more complicated.

Back