Boxing: The Greatest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Ali? Tyson? Marciano? Louis? Robinson? Leonard? Hagler?

Who in your opinion was the best fighter of all time and why?

I dont know. I wouldnt say its Ali, he is the self proclaimed gratest and people bought into his own hype. You havent included some of the more recent fighters either, De La Hoya and Mayweather are regarded by many as the best pound for pound boxer of all time, although I wouldn't include Mayweather as for me personally "The Greatest" needs to be a reasonably decent person as well and Mayweather has a history of beating up women.

Before seeing this I was just reading about Anthony Joshua. Although its way too early to consider him for this accolade yet, he is certainly in contention for the future. Still fairly young and with 18 KO's out of 18 fights and an Olympic gold medal winner to boot. A world champion with an average of less than 3 rounds per fight. If he can keep his win record going, let alone his KO record he could be in with a shout in a few years time. And add to that that he is from North London and had a history of being arrested a few times and he has turned his life around and is now the epitome of clean living, publicly at least. Reminds me a bit of Rocky :lol:

I rate Joshua, but he hasn't fought anyone of note yet. Hope he keeps winning though as he has the potential to make the heavyweight division exciting to watch again.

ALI all day long and would have cleaned this present heavyweight division up in double quick time in his prime.what Ali had as well as speed quick reflexes swagger,a punch that could knock out the best and combinations to rip anyone to pieces was a heart as big as a bucket,remember the Ken Norton fight with a broken jaw early doors?,no one ever knocked him out and at well past his sell by date had to retire in his corner,and yep the gloves issue with Cooper,dont blame Ali for that it was his corner craftly buying him precious seconds.so yes Ali for me would have put any of the following heavyweights away after he was done in his prime and I include Tyson who if he couldn't blast his opponent out first half the fight he had no plan B,but a fight with a young Lennox Lewis would have been interesting and still feel Ali would come out on top

I have to go with Marciano for heavyweights. Some years ago a computer simulation of all the heavyweight champions was compiled and Marciano was rated the best. Ali and Marciano filmed a bunch of rounds sparring to be used in (I think) an HBO special. Ali said afterwards that he'd never been hit so hard by any opponent.

Back