Stepping Up Without Decanting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonh

Reaction score
I've just tried to step up a starter for the first time. I cold crashed the finished 1L starter, boiled and cooled 2L of new wort at the right gravity... and then poured it in, forgetting to decant the spent wort first!

After realising my mistake, I panicked and ripped up to 2L and stuck it in the brew fridge. I've now got a 2L starter comprising 1L spent wort and 1L new wort.

Is is worth letting it ferment out? Will the yeast be ok for a brew after spending some time in the diluted semi-alcoholic wort? Or is it time to give up and order a new bag of yeast and start again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you were starting with a very low cell count those two steps will probably be enough for most beers, even taking into account the dilution of the second starter. Go ahead and use it :thumb:

Great. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope I get home from work to a nice krausen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did similar on purpose due to time constraints I couldn't cold crash the step 1 starter so after decanting 600 mls for keeping I boiled up 400 ml with 100g DME and added that to the remaining 600mls for a 2nd 1 L step. Seems to be quite happy.

Back