Flixon Breweries Here - What do we need for a decent wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flixonbrews

Reaction score
Flixon Breweries Here. Please could someone tell us what is the minimum amount of kit we will need to make a decent few bottles of wine. We'll get the recipe off some helpful members here. We just think it's time to get a stock building up for a nice Summer's English day.

Just need to know what kit to use. Demi whatsits and stuff.

Thanks in advance

If you're brewing beer and cider then you should already have everything you need except the bottles, corks and corker. Then just buy a wine kit. The cheap ones are passable but if you want something decent its best to go for something with a bit more juice. The Kenridge ones are popular.

If you are happy drinking rose type wines you could just go with a basic WOW wine of 2x1litre cartons of red grape juice, cost is in the region of 60p per bottle, defo worth making even if only to see if you like it and would want to experiment a bit with them using other juices.

30 bottle kits work out quite a bit cheaper than 6 bottle kits but for first time try it is probably better to stick with a 6 bottle to see how you like it. Medium range priced kits are £40+ for 30 bottles (roughly £1.50 per bottle) usually but these give decent results, worthwhile checking the wine kit reviews for feedback on the various kits and go with a style you like.

Beer fermenters and bottling buckets, syphons, hydrometer will all work exactly the same for you so you don't need any extra kit, if you do go down the WOW route then you will need to source a few ingredients, wine yeast, nutrient, campden tablets, potassium sorbate, pectolase and maybe a fining agent. The WOW thread has a video that explains the steps http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462 just substitue the white grape and orange for 2 RGJ or a RGJ and apple.

If you're planning on drinking the wine this summer then you can save the whole cork faff by putting the wine into Coopers PET bottles., 6 moths will do it no harm. Better still, for the summer go for sparkling wine, you can produce half decent sparkly from a white wine kit. I make mine from California Connoisseur Pinot / Chardonnay / Riesling kits; brew them out as per the instructions then at bottling day prime with 100g sugar / gallon and bottle into coopers PET bottles. Leave untouched for as long as possible - a year or two is best, but even after 6 moths comes out far better than you might imagine.

If you're planning on drinking the wine this summer then you can save the whole cork faff by putting the wine into Coopers PET bottles., 6 moths will do it no harm. Better still, for the summer go for sparkling wine, you can produce half decent sparkly from a white wine kit. I make mine from California Connoisseur Pinot / Chardonnay / Riesling kits; brew them out as per the instructions then at bottling day prime with 100g sugar / gallon and bottle into coopers PET bottles. Leave untouched for as long as possible - a year or two is best, but even after 6 moths comes out far better than you might imagine.

I've seen this Cellar 7 stuff on Youtube that seems to be OK to drink after a couple of weeks. I think Wife is going to get me some for my birthday.

100g sugar per gallon! That's 22g per litre, the average beer is 6.5g/L. I know wine likes to be fizzier but i'd have thought that would be way OTT.
If anything it's slightly less than used for commercial sparkling wine. [Edit: I've just googled around that and it seems to be about the same, must be where I got that number from ages ago] I've made loads of the stuff, that amount works fine and gives a proper mousse when you're pouring it into flutes. PET bottles easily cope with it, never had one go wrong.

If anything it's slightly less than used for commercial sparkling wine. [Edit: I've just googled around that and it seems to be about the same, must be where I got that number from ages ago] I've made loads of the stuff, that amount works fine and gives a proper mousse when you're pouring it into flutes. PET bottles easily cope with it, never had one go wrong.

PM'd to avoid thread derail.

Latest posts

Back