Vinyl players

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently dug out my turntable - an old Technics SL1810 with a Shure M91ED cart which I bought in a 2nd hand shop in 1990 while at university. £20, I believe it was. :D A real extravagance on a student grant.

Didn't have a phono stage in my system for many years but, having just built one, I'm getting back into vinyl and my £20's worth is sounding pretty good. Even bought some vinyl in very good nick from the local car boot sale at the weekend. :thumb:

I just picked up an old 80s Sony stack complete with cabinet, the tapedeck is a bit knacked and I've got radios elsewhere, but it has a turntable!! and amp and speakers :party: I've not had a turntable since 2005 when we left the UK, so I've been annoying the neighbours with Jimi, The Doors, Blind Faith, Santana, The Allman Bros, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, ZZ Top. Plus a bit of nice jazz, King Curtis, Miles Kind of Blue. The warmth of the sound just blows all my iPod, CDs etc out of the window.

I did also sell some of my old metal Albums, Metallica, Iron Maiden, plus some old picture discs, coloured vinyl that I've not listened to in nearly 25yrs, they're all mint. Still got a few to go if anyone wants a gander

hoofy said:
Just yesterday I was putting a batch of beer out for storage in my cabin and I looked at my collection of Bob Dylan records that is taking up valuable space in one of my cupboards. Should I just bite the bullet and throw them in the bin to make room for beer?

I know they will never get played again, but it's just so difficult to make the decision.

Well...either tell me which bin you want to throw them in, throw them in a bin outside my house, or give them to me and I'll throw them in a bin for you... :whistle:

Yeah you'll never get the same sound on remastered stuff, the good thing about vinyl when listening to older records is it was mastered for vinyl. That is how is was supposed to sound.

You'll never get the same sound through a cd or anything like that.

Hi DC, I've got a few things left. I'm on nights all w/e but I'll get some pics done and put them up when my head is back on the right way

You can email me a list of what you've got if you like and then if we are gonna take it further then you could send pics?

Currently waiting on a double TIP Records Trance promo from the 90's arriving from ebay! Whoop!!!

DirtyC

I'm a former vinyl junkie with a couple thousand records in the attic. They used to be in the living room and we used to play some from time to time but we are stuck for space now. I only recently some a new needle and stylus after losing mine at a party.

One friend had to reposition his vinyl collection. It was against a non-load-bearing wall, and so all on one joist, and the wood was bending under the weight :shock: :lol:

How's this for a stylish turntable. Montegiro Lusso. Very nice. But slightly out of my range at $47,000 :sick:

9392_290508125938.jpg

bobsbeer said:
How's this for a stylish turntable. Montegiro Lusso. Very nice. But slightly out of my range at $47,000 :sick:

9392_290508125938.jpg

I think I'm in love, I'm sure I could sell swmbo and get $47,000 right :wha: :hmm: :whistle:

Money was a bit tight in the 80's so I had a Dual 505 deck with an Ortofon cartridge. It's in the loft now with loads of vinyl. I think I will dig it out and fire it up again with my old NAD amp. The only problem is that I will have to trawl the web for new belts 'cos they will certainly have perished.

Hope my vinyl hasn't melted in the loft though. I've got the first Iron Maiden album up there somewhere. The one that is circ 1980 with Paul Di'Anno.

wouldn't be without my Vinyl playing system consisting Linn Sondeck LP12 with a Ittok LV111 Tonearm with a Troika mc cartridge,powered by the Linn Lingo.Linn Kairn pre amp, Linn Klout power amp, Linn Karik CDplayer paired to floor standing Linn Kaber speakers set on granite plinths,LP12 sits on a audiotech turntable shelf to complete the set up.Great sounding system imho & rock solid British engineering to boot, enjoy your music everyone :cheers:

bobsbeer said:

9392_290508125938.jpg
Not my type, too modern for my tastes.

Can I not have one carved out of walnut with gargoyles on it?

Megaross said:
bobsbeer said:

9392_290508125938.jpg
Not my type, too modern for my tastes.

Can I not have one carved out of walnut with gargoyles on it?

Get an old one where the innards are in good condition but the shell is knackered, and replace the shell with a nice bespoke-carved wooden one.

Result! Just been in the loft and my turntable is actually the CS5000. Also with it were 2 brand new drivebelts.

Better still my vinyl looks to be in good order.

I can feel nostalgia coming on

Latest posts

Back