Taking some whisky to dad in hospital

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
My father has been in hospital since last Wednesday after falling at home. He has heart, kidney and breathing problems all related to a lifetime of smoking.

He had bypass surgery, valve replacements and a defibrillator fitted about 10 years ago which gave him a new lease of life but over the last couple of years he has become very frail but at 83 that's not too surprising.

Last night he was transferred to the coronary care unit as his heart rhythm was all over the place and his defibrillator kept kicking in, they finally put him to sleep and shocked him externally which seemed to do a better job. I'm of to see him later and I've been told that the consultant has said its OK for me to take him in some whisky. Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it doesn't sound good, it suggests to me that they don't expect him to pull through so he might just as well have some of what he fancies.

Ahh well, best take him a good one just in case....

Jeltz said:
My father has been in hospital since last Wednesday after falling at home. He has heart, kidney and breathing problems all related to a lifetime of smoking.

He had bypass surgery, valve replacements and a defibrillator fitted about 10 years ago which gave him a new lease of life but over the last couple of years he has become very frail but at 83 that's not too surprising.

Last night he was transferred to the coronary care unit as his heart rhythm was all over the place and his defibrillator kept kicking in, they finally put him to sleep and shocked him externally which seemed to do a better job. I'm of to see him later and I've been told that the consultant has said its OK for me to take him in some whisky. Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it doesn't sound good, it suggests to me that they don't expect him to pull through so he might just as well have some of what he fancies.

Ahh well, best take him a good one just in case....
Hope he's ok mate, my dad was in for 13 nights with the same heart problems.... worrying times.. :(

He's not to bad at the moment.. :D

BB

Sorry to hear your news Nic :(

I hope things aren't as bad as you fear and that your dad enjoys his dram.

Best,

Stu

A moderate/small amount of alcohol can reduce pressure on the heart, so at the very least it could give you a bit more time to say goodbye, and it may even help him recover as long as he goes easy.

I hope it all turns out well.

Hope he's ok buddy, hopefully he'll enjoy his whisky.

They give red wine to heart patients so why not whisky as well I reckon? Guiness is proven to be good for you after all.

I'm sorry to hear your father is ill, hopefully he will be on the mend soon. Perhaps the whiskey will perk him up a little :) best of luck to him and your family xx

Thanks all, I took him his whisky in earlier - Black Grouse which he is very fond of.

I think that the coming days will be critical, they described him as "very poorly", said his heart is very weak and that it is a definite possibility that he's not going to survive this, but in my book that is a lot different from prepare yourself for the worst!

He certainly appeared stronger than I was expecting and has declined the option of signing a DNR so clearly he's not given in just yet.

I'm resigned to the fact that its all in the lap of the gods now, we'll just have to see what happens. It doesn't help that he's contracted the norovirus while in there, but maybe the whisky will gave that the heave ho and the consultant has said he can have as much as he wants!

All the best to the old fellow Nic, a wee dram will help him through the hospital boredom.

Best wishes to you both, it sounds like he hasn't given up the fight which is good.

Make sure you have a wee one with him :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry to hear that mate, definitely not an easy time for you both. Just take each day as it comes while preparing yourself should the worst happen. As much as it's a really difficult time it's also a really important time for you both so definitely try to make the best of it just in case.

Really hope he pulls through, certainly sounds like he's got his sleeves rolled up anyway.

Glass in the air to your old man mate, cheers! :cheers:

Well he lost the fight tonight.

The end was not a long drawn out thing and was peaceful.

Rest in peace Dad.

Raised a glass to him already and will raise a few more tonight.

Back