Just won a beer engine :D

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just won a beer engine for the epic price of £1.70!

May need some work but I fancy giving it a go :)

$(KGrHqJ,!qgFF5GsZP-BBRk,zMgBRg~~60_58.JPG

Great result. I don't recognise the manufacturer from the picture. If you need help with how to service it please post a picture of the cylinder and I can advise where to get the kit from.
They are pretty straight forward if you can get them to bits without anything breaking.
:-D

Great. Look forward to seeing what it is.
The service kits vary from around £8 to £22 depending on model and where you shop.

can cornie kegs be fitted to these hand pumps easily ?

Yes they can. :-D
We did it with great success at ST 2013.

There are a couple of different ways of doing it:
The simplest is connect the engine to the outlet via a disconnect and open the relief on the cornie even better make sure the gas line us connected to the cornie but not the gas. The idea here is to let air in as the beer is drawn out so that you dont collapse the cornie due to vacuum.

Even better connect a gas bottle to the cornie via a cask aspirator. A1Barstuff have a really good description of the aspitator but basically it lets co2 in at the rate you draw beer out so it keeps longer and doesn't over gas.

The final way is to use a check valve which will hold back any excess gas pressure but wont stop the beer from over gassing.

If you just connect the gas to the cornie without an aspirator or check valve the gas pressure will push the beer past the engine seals and out the spout and it will end up un the floor. (Can't imagine how I know that :lol:)

I have found a manufacturer of cask aspirators in Birmingham but not approached them yet. If there is enough interest I will ask for a price direct, but think they would want a reasonable order.

thank you both. It was question only asked in the spirit of enquiry....still trying to get a nicely carbonated pint from out of daplex tap...lol

thank you both. It was question only asked in the spirit of enquiry....still trying to get a nicely carbonated pint from out of daplex tap...lol
If you're looking for the same 'smooth taste' carbonation wise from a dalex as you get from a beer engine...give up...only one thing tastes like a beer engine pint and that's...you guessed it...a BE pulled pint :lol:
Pocket beer engines ie, a syringe also do the same job and are a lot cheaper and easier to use.

Well done. :thumb:
BrotherMalice said:
Just got back and tested it & it doesnt currently work, its a porter lancastrian if that means anything to anyone?

Going to do some googling now :)

When you say it doesn't work what do you mean? No draw? Can you get it apart to reveal the cylinder?

cnelsonplumber said:
I have found a manufacturer of cask aspirators in Birmingham but not approached them yet. If there is enough interest I will ask for a price direct, but think they would want a reasonable order.

Keep us posted on that one Chris. I'd be interested.

I think you are going to have to get it apart if you can. Sounds like the non return seals have gone, or it needs one, or the plunger has come off. Given it's age hopefully you can come with suitable replacement bits. The insides are fairly basic and straightforward.

bobsbeer said:
cnelsonplumber said:

Keep us posted on that one Chris. I'd be interested.
Will do :-D

BrotherMalice said:
Just looked at it more closely, it is indeed a simulated beer engine :( - perfect for cornie users but no good for me :(

Oh that's a shame - I was suspicious due to the very short swan neck on it. Never mind eh - only £1.70 lost :thumb:

Latest posts

Back