What would I need to brew in my pub cellar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl0ckage

Regular.
Reaction score
So the cellar has water drainage, washable walls etc already.

What exactly would I be applying for extra to brew and sell my beer on a pump in the pub?

I'm a little confused as we are already Licenced to sell beer etc. Read a post awhile back on a few of the laws but that was for a garage.

You would need to register with HMRC as a brewery in order to pay them duty, you would need to check with your local council planning dept to ensure you have the permission to brew (i.e. change of use of your cellar). I'm not sure there is a great deal more than that really beyond getting setup and start brewing.

You may want to have a read of THIS book, its a very easy to read and informative book which takes you through each stage step-by-step. Good luck on the venture :thumb:

Cononthebarber said:
you would need to check with your local council planning dept to ensure you have the permission to brew (i.e. change of use of your cellar).

What if it was an older pub that had previously brewed its own beer? Would it qualify as "change of use" under those circumstances?

I'm not sure TBH, he is best just checking with the council...I think you need to have class B2 planning. I don't think its that difficult to obtain but is a necessary thing that is needed. As you say though if beer was brewed there previously then it may still be in effect?

Back