Brew #21 Dark Island

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
After a cock up yesterday and mixing black malts into my pale malt ! ( dont ask ) I'm using up the last of my grains on the last brew for a couple of weeks.

My last Dark Island concoction ( by Marc Ollosson ) went down a treat and far too quickly so its being replenished.... :D

I'm giving it a simple hop regime of Challenger at First Wort ,Boil and a small aroma addition after boiler turned off.

Yeast is 2 portions of the split WLP028 I did a couple of weeks ago, I've set a starter off with DME.

HLT on and just about to weigh the grains out

Oh fook !

anyone ever picked up an open packet of 2kg of crystal malt by the wrong end !!

All done no problems
Hit my targets and ended up with 24 liters of Dark Island at 1.048.

Happy bunny

WLP028 going like a rocket when added to the brew.... :grin:

Nice one PD :thumb: do you use sugar as per the recipe or do you add more pale malt? Sounds like a good beer to brew

It all depends if you like Malty Ale.

I add light brown sugar as in the recipe, purely because my son got 25Kg of the stuff for 25p the lot... :grin:

A word of warning for this brew...be very careful with the priming sugar....thats all I've got to say.... :whistle:

also do you find the hopping to be high with Marc Ollosson's recipes. When I put the recipe into Brewmate and allowing for adjustment of IBU's and I use the Tinseth setting, the hopping always comes way over the recipe IBU

In the book Marc suggests using Omega hops ( 8.5aa) or substitute with Challenger, and a smaller addition of challenger (aa not given ) He shows the IBU as 22 for the brew.
I used all Challenger hops ( aa 6.5) and with the amounts I added I ended up with IBU of 29. I gave my brew a First Wort Hopping and a 0min steep ( for aroma ) of Challenger.
These are purely personal alterations.( the aroma steep is a new variation on this brew )

So I don't think he is overly high with the hopping, guess it depends on where he gets his hops from.. :grin:

I follow many recipes when doing my brews as I feel inexperienced in fully designing them, but there is always an amount of variation I do to them.
Piddles Ale is my first completely designed beer ( recipe uploaded to the recipe section on the forum ) that I have done ( nice beer too )

Others on the forum are more experienced and daring than me !

Have had to quickly instal my ever ready blow off tube !

Its sure pumping some gas out !.....

every bubble of gas means another bubble of alcohol...lol

Latest posts

Back