Youngs strawberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

I'm busy doing a Youngs Definitive Country Strawberry Wine kit. All has gone well but it's not clearing. I added the finings 11 days ago and it's been somewhere cold along with another wine (not a youngs kit) that's cleared ok.

There is a layer of sediment but the rest of the wine is what I would call 'opaque'

Is it a case of patience or does this kit not completely clear?

Hi Trucker,
Just out of interest, roughly how long did your kit take to finish bubbling?
I put a youngs strawberry and youngs elderflower wine on at the same time, and the elderflower finished bubling about 10 days ago (after about 10 days) and is currently clearing, but the strawberry is still bubbling (okay it took 2 days to start because i didnt read the instructions and just added all the water).
but its been on for 20-25 days already and still going gently....

Hi Guys,

I've not had a problem with clearing these but I am having an issue with the end result. I have made over 10 Youngs kits of varying flavours and I bagged my second strawberry yesterday. I had to chuck my first one as was pungent, a brown colour and tasted disgusting - this was 2 weeks after bagging when I decided to test it. I put it down to maybe I had introduced an infection and marked as an experience as I've made plenty decent ones.

To my dismay the one I took off yesterday was the same to a lesser degree, the smell is very chemically (not a word I know) but this time with at least a hint of strawberry, the colour is a purply brown colour instead of river water and it may be barely drinkable if mixed with lemonade or something.

Any ideas what I could of possibly done wrong with these kits (compared to the others done in the same environment/manner) or whether if I leave for a few months they have any chance of improving?

Ta, Richy

Found the same problems with the strawberry as you have richy. It's not a good kit, others are fine but the strawberry just bad.

Cheers Tau,

Pleased its not just me. I was starting to think I'd done something to them. Unfortunately I have a 3rd one on the go which is nearing the end of fermentation and doesn't look or smell to bad at present so I'm thinking of not bothering with the sorbate or finings to see if that makes the slightest bit of difference:doh:

Back