Whoever won 160 bottles on ebay...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loads of people are using auction sniper these days. It bids on your behalf in the closing seconds of an auction. Bit unfair if you ask me, but that's modern internet for you!

On the plus side i still have 6 milk crates, 80 brown 500ml bottles and 40 clear 500ml bottles to pick up tomorrow for £50.

I know people get this sort of stuff for free, rummaging around in pub bins etc, which my local said i can if i want, but with the bairn its finding the time to do it.

Give Gixen a try.
I got totally fed up setting alarms to remind me of auction end times, then still losing items in the last few seconds, so have signed up with the above and just wait to see if I get an email confirmation of any items that I have won.

As much as I don't like the bid-snipers, it seems to be the only sensible way I can win anything nowadays. It's free too. Have had much more success since and it is totally stress free.

I tried to buy a hand pump and was always beaten at the last minute. Eventually got one from a member on Jim's.

am i missing something? i just usually set my maximum bid on ebay to what im willing to pay. even if i have been 'snipered' i still win unless the item goes for more than i am willing to pay in which case, i dont usually mind :)

krazypara3165 said:
am i missing something? i just usually set my maximum bid on ebay to what im willing to pay. even if i have been 'snipered' i still win unless the item goes for more than i am willing to pay in which case, i dont usually mind :)
I have found that if people have more time, then they will often rethink their maximum bid value and go again. I think it must be some sort of ego thing as I have seen bids escalate way beyond the value of the items - sometimes paying more for a 2nd hand item than you can buy it new.

Sniping takes out the ego's but still let's the highest bidder win. You just all show you cards in the last few seconds instead of over 7 days.

I use the snipe facility on eBay. As has been said, it allows me to put in a max amount and walk away without watching the bidding at the end.

Egos can be costly!!

I have been beaten on 2 fridge auctions this week all at last seconds, think i might just buy a new one less stressful :hat:

Still amazes me how many people think other eBay users don't bid at the last minute or get snipe software to do it for them to secure the win. Bless.

Bottom line is: bid as much as you can afford in the expectation it will get driven up (probably through shill bidding or by some idiot who gets off on driving up the price in the hope he doesn't win it himself) or don't bid at all until the last minute. Literally the last minute.

Gixen works on my iphone, but does not have an app, so I use it through Safari.
The interface is a bit like a 1980's bit of software, but it is free and works.

Monte Cristo said:
I have been beaten on 2 fridge auctions this week all at last seconds, think i might just buy a new one less stressful :hat:
I had the same problem prior to christmas. I thought it was due to people wanting a 'spill over' fridge for their christmas grub, but it sounds like the prices are still holding high.

You can find a bargain, but IMHO it is best to find a fridge that has a BIN price and just pay a few extra quid. Less stressful!

Maysie said:
Gixen works on my iphone, but does not have an app, so I use it through Safari.
The interface is a bit like a 1980's bit of software, but it is free and works.

Just noticed on their website they do have an app now. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Just noticed on their website they do have an app now. :thumb:
Well spotted.
I have always searched for 'Gixen' and it doesn't find anything, their app is called ForBidding - just to confuse me!! :wha:

Back