Growing a yeast starter to make more than one brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yenren

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to brewing. I have do a little it of research and not found an answer. My question is can i take a dry yeast package from a Bulldog Triple Tykes kit and make a starter and then take an amount of that starter to make a gallon brew (Im think a rosemary and bay Gruit ale) and then grow the original starter to use in the kit.
As far a ingredients go I have dry yeast as above, liquid barley malt extract or regular sugar(as feed) I also have 23 liters of buldog hammer of thor on the brew for 3 days (possble as a medium).

Hi guys I am new to brewing. I have do a little it of research and not found an answer. My question is can i take a dry yeast package from a Bulldog Triple Tykes kit and make a starter and then take an amount of that starter to make a gallon brew (Im think a rosemary and bay Gruit ale) and then grow the original starter to use in the kit.
As far a ingredients go I have dry yeast as above, liquid barley malt extract or regular sugar(as feed) I also have 23 liters of buldog hammer of thor on the brew for 3 days (possble as a medium).

I've just built my own stir plate and did my first proper starter this weekend so I'm no expert but...

Provided you top the starter up with more (pre-boiled) water as well as giving them some sugar / DME then I can't see any reason you can't 'borrow' some yeast for a small batch and build it back up for a larger batch.

Wanting to give this a go myself. Building a stir plate atm. If I want enough yeast for two brews (21L, OG~1050) how big a starter would I need to make to split? And can I just pitch half and refrigerate half?

Cheers

Been playing around on Brewers Friend yeast calculator and I think a starter of 0.5L with 50g DME stepped up to 2.5L with 250g DME will do the job. But do you pour the entire 1st starter into the second or should you decant?

You should decant and then make a fresh batch of dme wort.
Don't use sugar remember your making a starter not beer

Cool. And do you put the yeast in the fridge before decanting? Or should it settle out pretty quickly?

Latest posts

Back