New Toy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Finally got around to calibrating my refractometer today. It doesn't half make taking gravity readings easier simply because you hardly need any wort/beer - literally two or three drops rather than 90ml or so.

It's a cheapo Chinese import but seems to work well enough. The Chinglish instructions are hilarious.

To calibrate you need distilled water. I watched a you tube vid of how to make some but I must have cocked things up because after I did the calibration I tested my latest brew (Oatmeal stout) and it came out at about 1.024 so I used my hydrometer to check and it came out at 1.009. So after a bit of googling I found out that you can calibrate using any sugary liquid you know the gravity of. As I know my hydrometer is right (actually it's two points out but I know this so can adjust for it) I just calibrated to 1.009 using the stout.

The refractometer is going to be really useful for things like easily finding the gravity of my beer after carbonation without having to de-gas the beer. Boiling down different concentrations for wort for yeast cultivation and taking gravity reading throughout my brew process. Overall I'm really pleased with it.

I was going to ask if anyone used one these and if they were worth it. Sounds like the answer is yes. I was thinking that as well as being able to take SG readings from hot (mash) samples I thought it would be interesting to plot the SG of brews on a daily basis by just taking a few drops a day.

I assume you use a pipette ? Or just a tiny amount with a turkey baster ?

You can get distilled water from halfords for £2.99 for 5 litres by the way. That should last a while when you only need a drop to calibrate. :-D

I've already bought a digital ph meter (£6 if i remember correctly) but haven't used that yet.

You can't use a refractometer for FG, well you can but you need to know your OG and use one of the online calculators but I have never found any two results the same.

As others have said, I use my refractometer for hot wort and a finishing hydrometer for FG.

I used my 'new toy' for the first time yesterday, on a Geordie Mild.
OG reading was 10 brix, which converts to 1.040, which sounds about right.
I used 1kg Light spraymalt and 100g dark muscovado sugar.
It is much easier than a hydrometer, it comes supplied with a pipette and you only need a drop of wort to measure.
There will probably be some naysayers on this forum who say stick to the hydrometer, but for someone like me who isn't looking for great accuracy it's ideal.

Back