New Year-Upgrade to A.G. Boilers and Tuns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2" or 12.5mm id silicone tube is a nice snug fit on 15mm copper tube...

smaller tube can be built up with a wrap of ptfe tape.

jubilee clip?? just make sure its 100% stainless steel including the grubscrew...

or a cablke tire pulled very taught with pliers,,

cable tie !!! edit to correct typo..

Ah feck, went to screwfix and got the tank connector and (just like you said, Fil, the pipe won't go all the way through. I've also bought a ball valve tap but am unsure of how to fix it so it doesn't slide about.

Double feck, I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to file the pipe-stop and it still won't go through. Any suggestions for someone who is drill-less?

Don't panic!

This is what I did with mine...

I just battered it smaller with a little percussive maintenance, whilst remembering that there's a tap on the other side of the tank connector. The gaps left by the "modification" are smaller than the ones with the manifold so no unwanted barley has passed through.

Dave

hang on in there filling it out will take time probably 2-3 hours.. do it over a newspaper in your lap in front of the telly with a few beers :whistle:

an alternative with a untouched tank connector would be to use 10mm tube with a bit of silicone tube (3/8" id) over the end shoved in the back end of the tank connector.... pm me if you need an inch or 2 of silicone tube for the job, i have some kicking about with a 1mm wall..

Thanks gents, I've gotten some funny looks from the missus as I sit with my back turned, furiously filing away with the tank connector in my lap...think she was more concerned about the noise.

Good idea with the tubing/bashing the copper in with some percussive maintenance (en Anglais, monseur?) Fil, I'd appreciate the help. Where are you based?

percussive maintenance (en Anglais, monseur?)

Give it a smackin' with a hammer!

The worry I have with filing out that pipestop on the tank connector is you're at the mercy of your own handy work; you've now breached that seal between the inner and outer walls of your mashtun. My understanding of this method is if you're going to file it out to run a 15mm pipe straight through, then why bother with the tank coupler at all...? EDIT - the compression fit on the tap side maybe??

Dave

Fil, I'd appreciate the help. Where are you based?

Pm sent..

CrewBrewer, the tank connector offers a cheap flange fitting for an easy seal in the wall And the compression fitting for the seal on the tube.

using plumbers lead free solder to fix/seal tube in the tank connector (or jbweld??) can let you use the 1/2" thread for the fixing of fittings directly too..
so tube sticking out the 'back' and thread to face the 'front'

ATTACH]
So close...neither of my taps fit on the copper. What should I buy?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426778042049.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 147
Don't worry, gents. I think I've sorted it-tried brimming it earlier and the tap/connector didn't leak!

It still looks craps, and I've not tried it with mash level temperature...I won't get to brew this weekend but I feel that step closer for next Saturday.

So my MT doesn't leak, hooray!

My boiler, which I parted with a lot of money from a well-reputed brew site, does. :shock:

Only a tiny droplet or so from under the washer near the tap every few seconds, but enough to cause a problem. I phoned them and they suggested tightening it slightly with an adjustable spanner, if not then it could 'seal itself' when the water gets up to mash/boiling point.

Am I right to be skeptical? I know that the mass of the water will change when hot but I would have thought it would have leaked just the same.

dismantle and wrap up with ptfe and refit ;)

if necessary silicone baking sheet/cupcake moulds are made from a food/safe heat safe material which is easy to cut with scissirs into a soft washer to help seal too.

Latest posts

Back