Two days off - new build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, this is one wicked set up. I'm just starting out in all grain but this is the kind of thing I'd like to have someday!
Just got some (free) 5mm acrylic sheet. It will go on the mash tun table for an easy wipe surface! Most of the build was free. Had to pay for burner, pipe, gas and screws etc but rest was scavanged! Different for fridge fermenting chamber. Fridge was free, had to buy the rest. Total I reckon £70.

All wired in now, just waiting on the stc. SWMBO happy, I can stop taking over the kitchen and flooding it with steam.

Recovered from the mango fest yet?

Nice set up. When I have a garage...

Had a trial run today. 25 litres upto 76°c in 45 minutes, rolling boil 75 minutes, and used 200g of butane in the process. So a brew day I reckon will use 500g. 4.5kg cylinder, so 9 - 10 brews out of it. Garage warmed up nicely too. Counterflow chiller worked a treat.

I often thought when reading the beer threads that it must cost a lot to have so much liquid boiling for so long, it would seem i was wrong. :wink:

if you used 16.50p per unit
2.5 kw x 3h
=123.5pence but that includes the standing charge
more like 80 pence unless I have my maths wrong

NB mains gas would be alot cheaper

Last edited:
No mains gas unfortunately. I went for butane over propane because it has more energy, and supposedly burns cleaner. Steered away from electric because it would have meant adding a new circuit, so overall I think it's the cheapest option for me, and it looks darned good when it's fired up!

STC arrived today. All wired in, but guessing by the heat the fermentation is giving off can't see the heater being used much - sitting at 19.3°c and bubbling furiously.

Latest posts

Back