What size corny kegs do you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkin71

Reaction score
I don't know if I should go for the 19 and save some money and just bottle the last 6 ltr with co2.

Also would you go barbed or threaded quick dissconnects?

£55 for 19 ltr

£90 for 25 ltr

That's what I was thinking. save money in the process. Might get some posts for adding gas to bottles.

I use a 19 litres Corny, and if I make a 23 litres kit I bottle the rest. Also use the quick disconnects.

19L Corny here too. I also bottle the extra - actually, I bottle it first. If I make 23L, I'll fill x8 500ml bottles and what's left all goes in the Corny.

My connections are all threaded and I use a threaded John Guest adapter to allow me to swap my hoses over easily (push fit).

I use 19L used kegs, and 23L and 25L new (originally) kegs. Depends on your needs, really - I brew 45L every 3 weeks or so. I fill one larger new keg, and one used 19L. Might have some surplus to fill a couple of bottles, by my thing is draft beer!

New kegs are definitely superior to used. No issues about losing pressure unpredictably, or having to replace lids, valves, o rings etc.

Cheers,

Chris

or split between 2 x 19l kegs, with venting off trapped air and a cheap supply of co2 there is no minimum fill level for a keg.

there is also the eco keg option circa £25 delivered via ebay for a 30l keg (a pollykeg contained in a robust plastic barrel)
or 30-50l crusader kegs if your feeling uber flush ;)

however before buying into kegs please ensure you have the temperature control side of things sorted as kegs are just the storage aspect of a profesional standard dispensing system, and without a good regulated C02 supply, Temperature control of the kegs (keg fridge being the best home option imho) and keg pressure balancing in the beerline/tap combo, your not going to get anywhere near the best from the system and could end up pouring pint after pint of foam. I know i bought into cornies a wee bit hastily and found out the hard way ;) It took me a fair few months and a bit more cash than i expected to resolve too.

As we're discussing corny and bottle here. Any views on the taste comparison. I've only bottled and am very happy. Doesn't quit match a pub cask but not far off. How does a corny beer compare?

I would say without a doubt, as good as pub cask. The good thing is when you put it in the Corny keg, you don't have to add sugar to prime.. My only problem is setting the tap right to get the right head on the beer..

with control over both the keg pressure and temperature you can condition to any level you desire in a keg. its a simple matter of referring to a kegging reference chart
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php
bearing in mind the US brewers like a tad more condition in their beers than we do so adjust accordingly ;)

im convinced i can serve a reasonable approximation of a hand pulled pint from my kegs with a low level of condition and a nominal serving pressure of 2-4psi (as low as my reg will let me set..) my beardy wierdy camra pal however will still tut as its not hand pulled..

im convinced i can serve a reasonable approximation of a hand pulled pint from my kegs with a low level of condition and a nominal serving pressure of 2-4psi (as low as my reg will let me set..) my beardy wierdy camra pal however will still tut as its not hand pulled..
I agree with Fil on that - corny keg beers are easily comparable to hand pulled pub pints. I prefer the draft beers I make to those I bottle from the same brew - the bottles just don't taste the same!

My mileage setting-up with cornies was less traumatic than Fil's. I went for a hand pump from the off. The kegs are primed, and served under the same nominal 2 to 4 psi serving pressure. If the odd keg was too lively, excess CO2 can be vented off through the prv. These days I use a secondary reg, set at a stable 3.5psi, which serves a very fine hand pulled pint:-).

Cheers,

Chris

Latest posts

Back