How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on the amount of room you have on the bench and the skill you have in fitting stuff into a small space. Me? Almost zero skill! :doh:

One thing to watch out for (and something that I didn't realise at the time I made it) is where the bolts go to hold the fan in place.

Check the photo.

Bad News: If I use a broad based jug, it skates around on top of the bolt heads and is in imminent danger of falling off all the time.

Good News: If I use a narrow based jug, it fits nicely between the bolt heads and is held secure.

In terms of containers, I particularly liked the old Roses Chocolates box as a container. Sheer genius! :thumb:

BTW I use a glass jug on the basis that a conical flask costs so much that I would be too terrified of breaking it to use it.

It took a few searches before I found a 1 litre jug that had a totally flat base inside and also fitted within the bolt heads.

I eventually found one in Ikea just as I started to lose the will to live!

I haven't walked that far in years! The Lancashire Hot Pots song "I fear Ikea" kept running inside my head and I actually got a nice young lady to show me the "short way" out. Next time I send in SWMBO! :lol:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oA5t0-e9UM[/ame]

Stir Plate.jpg

It all depends on the amount of room you have on the bench and the skill you have in fitting stuff into a small space. Me? Almost zero skill! :doh:

One thing to watch out for (and something that I didn't realise at the time I made it) is where the bolts go to hold the fan in place.

Check the photo.

Bad News: If I use a broad based jug, it skates around on top of the bolt heads and is in imminent danger of falling off all the time.

Good News: If I use a narrow based jug, it fits nicely between the bolt heads and is held secure.

In terms of containers, I particularly liked the old Roses Chocolates box as a container. Sheer genius! :thumb:

BTW I use a glass jug on the basis that a conical flask costs so much that I would be too terrified of breaking it to use it.

It took a few searches before I found a 1 litre jug that had a totally flat base inside and also fitted within the bolt heads.

I eventually found one in Ikea just as I started to lose the will to live!

I haven't walked that far in years! The Lancashire Hot Pots song "I fear Ikea" kept running inside my head and I actually got a nice young lady to show me the "short way" out. Next time I send in SWMBO! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oA5t0-e9UM

Hahahaha! You crackers!
Made my day...
Went a few month ago!! Got in...there lines and 'walk this way' I on purpose walk opisite way!! And a balloon knot assistant stops me..didn't say "can I help you with anything sir?"
Just said "excuse me, your suppose to walk the direction stated on the signs!"
My reply is "I'm not walking! If you not noticed I'm in a mobility scooter!"
And ignore her and just went on my way...
Safe our lass giver her a dressing down!!
An hour later! Looking at the same **** furniture that could even be comfortable
Let alone looks good! Time to get out!! Hahaha!!
2hrs in my life wasted...
Reckon this after noon I'll go to whicke and see and boxes n stuff!!
Ohhhhhh! Have I a Roses tub after Xmas?? Prob has the chocolates my daughter hates and empty wrappers!!
What this space!!!
:-)

Thx guys!!
Photobucket should of just put the Vidio and not the vids..of our lass undressing haha!!
If you can see my all pics etc...gives u a laugh anyways...
Chuffed there's no pics of me in high heels and leather thong! :-)

Can't wait to put this together but eBay is sooo slow ☹️

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

By the time everything has arrived I won't have time to build it as work will be at its busiest, I will be working 7 days a week ☹️

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My 2l flask is too noisy..I've done all ballacing and different stir bars! But to no afail!
I could it out of our lasses ears...even the 1l is noisy abit!
So unless anyone can tell which stir bar to order that's not going to make so much noise..?
My temp container is this...quiet as!!
Like I said every ballancing perspiration possible! :-(

Any help be really appreciated
Thx
Bri

It may not be the stir-bar that's the problem.

Two other things that can cause a rattle are:

1. The magnets on the fan are drawn upwards by the actions of the fan and the magnetic attraction of the stir-bar and as a result they are hitting off the underside of the container.

2. The magnets on the fan don't correspond exactly with the magnets on the stir-bar, causing the stir-bar to "wobble and shunt" as it revolves.

In both instances, the heavy weight of the Kilner Jar (as opposed to the lightweight flask) will help deaden the sound.

PS

Just went out to check my own Stir-Plate to see if there were any problems and the stir-bar seems to have lost a lot of its magnetism!

As can be seen from the photograph, I leave the stir-bar bridging the two magnets on the fan, which in retrospect is asking for trouble! :doh:

Over time, the stir-bar will become the centre of what is effectively a single magnet and thereby lose the magnetism at its extremities; the places where I want it to latch on to the magnets underneath when it's in operation.

Ah well, just ordered a set of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CTJZ3YW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I prefer stir-bars with a pivot ring on the basis that they are generally a lot quieter. :thumb:

Stir Plate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M8,
As you say there may be a prob with the magnets them selves fan etc..
Great advice pal might get a thin cover ova the entrance as there a hole...then adjust the magnets etc..
Fiddly as...but now how I can sort it might be the reason.
I'm using the same stir bars btw!!
Report back asap pal
Thx m8
Bri

Back