Longest.brew.day.ever. The struggle is real.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2L PET bottles (supermarket cider) are good because they tend to be brown, and 12 of them fit nicely in a laundry crate. They are also re-usable and essentially indestructible. Like Captain Scarlet.

Hi,Slid,
I've read somewhere that PET bottles are permeable, gradually letting oxygen in and CO2 out. Is this contrary to your experience?
Have you used PET for long-term storage?

Hi,Slid,
I've read somewhere that PET bottles are permeable, gradually letting oxygen in and CO2 out. Is this contrary to your experience?
Have you used PET for long-term storage?

Six months for the Cider bottles is as long as they usually get. I have drunk kit beers at up to a year from 2L bottles and noticed no deterioration, with the proviso that had they been great, they would never have lasted that long :lol:.

The Coopers PET bottles I use for "special" beers are said to have an oxygen resistant coating that makes them less permeable.

Glass is too much hassle for me. I have 12 swing top bottles that were a present. Much harder to vent off excess gas (CO2) from continued fermentation, which I find more of an issue than permeability.

Hi!
How unusual to find a player in a brass band who drinks beer :grin:

I'm married to one one them too. Might be why I keep losing bottles of homebrew. I could have sworn there was a full crate of Wherry in the garage when I left it. I don't remember leaving a flugal horn in there either :confused:

I'm married to one one them too. Might be why I keep losing bottles of homebrew. I could have sworn there was a full crate of Wherry in the garage when I left it. I don't remember leaving a flugal horn in there either :confused:

:lol::lol:

The Coopers PET bottles I use for "special" beers are said to have an oxygen resistant coating that makes them less permeable.

This is interesting, because I have strange issues with reuse with Coopers PET bottles. They seem to 'delaminate' on themselves......

And the plastics engineer in me thinks hard about this. They must be 2 layer, and one layer that helps as the oxygen barrier and also to withstand the pressures. And could be, but might not be, (I need to actually analyse one further as I've not looked at one in a while) injection moulded instead of blow moulded... Sorry I have digressed into geeky land...

Anyways, this delamination seems to make them not so great for re-use because the beers that were in those bottles seem to taste off compared to the same beer in glass bottles.

So for now, until I can save up some more dosh for a corni kegging system, I use swing top bottles and mini-kegs

This is interesting, because I have strange issues with reuse with Coopers PET bottles. They seem to 'delaminate' on themselves......

And the plastics engineer in me thinks hard about this. They must be 2 layer, and one layer that helps as the oxygen barrier and also to withstand the pressures. And could be, but might not be, (I need to actually analyse one further as I've not looked at one in a while) injection moulded instead of blow moulded... Sorry I have digressed into geeky land...

Anyways, this delamination seems to make them not so great for re-use because the beers that were in those bottles seem to taste off compared to the same beer in glass bottles.

So for now, until I can save up some more dosh for a corni kegging system, I use swing top bottles and mini-kegs

Coopers had an issue 2-3 years ago with every fifth PET bottle having a very small hole in the bottom. They were very good on providing replacements at no cost, half way around the world, BTW.

Does this inform the inner geek?

Coopers had an issue 2-3 years ago with every fifth PET bottle having a very small hole in the bottom. They were very good on providing replacements at no cost, half way around the world, BTW.

Does this inform the inner geek?

Ahh interesting!! Thanks!! :thumb:

And!! I tried it!! First bottle after conditioning and if I say so myself, it was good! Really good!
I was trying to make a Red Rye IPA, like the Drygate Axman, but I must have failed in my ratios or my brew day screwed it all up colour wise, but it came out more like a black rye IPA. But I don't care, because it tastes yummy! Hubby gave it thumbs up and has requested we make more. (Not in the same manner, hahahah)

Anyways, you can screw up a lot and still make nice beer!

And!! I tried it!! First bottle after conditioning and if I say so myself, it was good! Really good!
I was trying to make a Red Rye IPA, like the Drygate Axman, but I must have failed in my ratios or my brew day screwed it all up colour wise, but it came out more like a black rye IPA. But I don't care, because it tastes yummy! Hubby gave it thumbs up and has requested we make more. (Not in the same manner, hahahah)

Anyways, you can screw up a lot and still make nice beer!

You see!! the sweat and tears is all worth it!!

Hi
What a faf on!
But you stuck at it!
For all the things going wrong I'll just for what it's worth!! Saving up and buying a GF has been my best thing ever! :whistle:
I don't know how long it would take with my old AG 3 tier system (stuck sparge, leaking wort chiller) but that was I was fully fit.
But there's some great advice from the gang.
Go on you know ya want a GF! Haha!
Just messing...
Catch ya later
Bri

Back