Gout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purines are our enemy. :lol:

Avoid meats such as liver, kidney and sweetbreads, which have high purine levels and contribute to high blood levels of uric acid. Selected seafood. Avoid the following types of seafood, which are higher in purines than others: anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna.

Foods to limit (very high in purines):

Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and brains.
Meats, including bacon, beef, pork, and lamb.

Game meats.
Any other meats in large amounts.
Anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel, and scallops.
Gravy.

Mushrooms, prawns and cauliflower are a main cause of my gout attacks. My homebrew doesn't seem to affect it. But certain mass produced beers in pubs have a tendency to cause a flare up.

Avoid meats such as liver, kidney and sweetbreads, which have high purine levels and contribute to high blood levels of uric acid. Selected seafood. Avoid the following types of seafood, which are higher in purines than others: anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna.

as a previous gout sufferer until I was put on allopurinol I don't subscribe to oily fish/fish as being a culprit of it but shell fish most definitely

The drinkers curse.

I think I've got it, my big toe is sore to touch, a bit swollen and feels a bit hot. Making walking a little bit difficult.

I'm not sure if I had it in the past albeit at quite a low intensity as I've had ankle pain before now that has come and gone out of nowhere but not bad enough to cause problems.

Hope this is a one off assuming that's what it is as I've got lots of lovely homebrew to drink :cry:

Haha, didn't know there was already a thread for this, thanks for the merge, will read from the beginning :thumb:

I'm off today and tomorrow, so we are away a couple of nights to Leeds. So plenty of beer will be drunk. Im fully armed with all three of my gout tablets, but it might be food that causes mine. I've found drinking beer doesn't really affect me, it's food that causes it.

Haha, didn't know there was already a thread for this, thanks for the merge, will read from the beginning :thumb:

I was going to pm you about the merge but the mobile internet round here is very hit and miss (mostly miss)

If anyone has skimmed through read these quotes in case you missed them.

Does Drinking Beer Cause Gout?

The study reported interesting these interesting results:

Compared with non beer drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of beer per day suffered a 2.5 times greater risk of gout.

Compared with non liquor drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of liquor per day suffered a 1.6 times greater risk of gout.

Wine was not associated with an increased risk of gout compared with those who did not drink wine.

Also interesting, the risk grew as servings grew. For example, the risk of gout increased by 49% with each serving of beer per day. The risk of gout was increased by 15% per serving of liquor each day. Because liquor is more alcoholic in beer, researchers concluded that a non-alcoholic factor in beer was the real culprit of the risk.

Purines (specific chemical compounds found in some foods) are broken down into uric acid. A diet rich in purines from certain sources can raise uric acid levels in the body, which sometimes leads to gout. Meat and seafood may increase your risk of gout. Dairy products may lower your risk.

Foods to limit (very high in purines):

Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and brains.
Meats, including bacon, beef, pork, and lamb.

Game meats.
Any other meats in large amounts.
Anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel, and scallops.
Gravy.

If anyone has skimmed through read these quotes in case you missed them.

I've clocked them all ... :thumb:

... ticked off all of the food and drink that I like and consume ... :thumb:

... and been down on my knees to thank The Lord for my genetic disposition to avoid gout! :thumb:

It really does sound like an affliction to avoid. :-o :-o

I've clocked them all ... :thumb:

... ticked off all of the food and drink that I like and consume ... :thumb:

... and been down on my knees to thank The Lord for my genetic disposition to avoid gout! :thumb:

It really does sound like an affliction to avoid. :-o :-o

If you've never wanted anything else this is it,unbelievably painfull

If you've never wanted anything else this is it,unbelievably painfull

Spot on, the way i describe it is like someone sticking red hot needles in my big toe joint i think its the worst pain i have ever had and that includes an abscess that was particularly nasty.

My missus has endured gout previously.....not at all nice.

I have arthritis caused by heroically playing football on a broken ankle, and just expecting that I could "jog it off". The body can do many wonderful things, of course. 15 yrs later I am experiencing serious problems.

Colleagues have asked, probably after having summarily looked me up and down, if it is gout. I take this as a comment on my lifestyle based upon my self-evident 'bay window'.

That is unfair, of course. I do find, however, that beer gives me sublime relief from the arthritic agony, and long may that continue.

My ol' man used to suffer terribly with gout - the only thing that ever caused him to shed physical tears apart from the passing of me mam and the time the local WMC was shut due to a power cut. Fortunately I don't seem to have inherited it.

My ol' man used to suffer terribly with gout - the only thing that ever caused him to shed physical tears apart from the passing of me mam and the time the local WMC was shut due to a power cut. Fortunately I don't seem to have inherited it.

It is supposed to miss a generation, my g,dad suffered terribly,my old man a beer lover didn't, I did until the wonderful alipurinol, tell your kids to leave beer alone or get their name down up the docs for the wonder cure alipurinol,ha

It is supposed to miss a generation, my g,dad suffered terribly,my old man a beer lover didn't, I did until the wonderful alipurinol, tell your kids to leave beer alone or get their name down up the docs for the wonder cure alipurinol,ha

Is that still the go-to drug for gout? Must be good stuff. One of my regular jobs as a kid was to go pick up the repeat prescription for that from the docs, then nip across the road to the chemist and wait half an hour to get served. My lad who is now 14 refuses to sample my beer cos he says he hates the taste and smell of alcohol. Mebbe it's for the best.....

.............. My lad who is now 14 refuses to sample my beer cos he says he hates the taste and smell of alcohol. .........

Oh God that brought back memories of "How can anybody drink this?"

My acquired taste for all forms of alcohol has cost a lot of money over the years ... :doh:

... but nowhere near as much as my acquired taste for women! :whistle::whistle:

Do most of you just get it in your toes? Has anyone else suffered with other joints?
I have had it in my ankles, wrist, elbows too.
But the most painful was my knee. It made me cry like a baby.

Back