The NHS Two-Year Plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many people voted for Brexit so that we could move all the money being sent to the EU over to the NHS.

Apparently this won't happen for at least two years (if ever), so they had a man on TV today explaining the "NHS Two Year Plan".

I was appalled that the man (Simon Somethingorother) gave absolutely no reassurances to the people who purchase Private Health Insurance.

The purchasers of Private Health Insurance pay a lot of money for their "Peas of Mine" but they were given NO reassurance that they could still use NHS facilities (hospitals, doctors, consultants, nurses, equipment etc) on the cheap OR that they could still jump the queues to get ahead of poor people who will now be expected to wait longer for their operations.

It's an absolute disgrace.

PS

Today I was told that my Doctor would no longer issue prescriptions for ANYTHING that can be bought over the counter from a pharmacy! Whether or not this is relevant to activating Article 50 I do not know, but I do know that "To Hell in a Handbag!" immediately sprang to mind!

PPS

I want immunity from prosecution for anything I Post on this Forum! :whistle:

All news to me - been at work til a couple of hours ago! But half the stuff on prescription is available over the counter anyway if you know what's what - a right rip off at 9 pounds a time!

Funny wasn't well last week and went to the doctor where she issued me with amoxycillin, gaulpseud,and eye drops which are steroid based and then told me that I needed benelyn for chesty coughs which was not available on prescription and I said you are joking as I thought the most expensive would not be available not the cheapest!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

All news to me - been at work til a couple of hours ago! But half the stuff on prescription is available over the counter anyway if you know what's what - a right rip off at 9 pounds a time!

Go into a pharmacy and try to buy the 200+ Paracetamol that I need every month to keep the pain from my arthritis under control. I think the maximum they are allowed to sell at any one time is something like 20 capsules; limited so that I can't use them to commit suicide with! :doh:

Needless to say, the legislation that limits the amount of analgesics that I can buy at any one time was passed well before the recent changes to what a doctor will and will not prescribe.

What do you think the chances are that the law will be amended to let me buy what I need? My own guess revolves around a snowball in hell. :whistle:

@Dutto - For you it's an inconvenience but if you need 200 tablets a time i am sure there must be a way round it as you won't be the only one as for the rest of us and as grunge said we have been getting ripped off for years it's time it came to an end.

I have a similar problem, Dutto. Football-related arthritis in both ankles - one particularly bad. I'm 50. My new-found love of mountain walking has come to an almighty halt as the deterioration accelerated significantly over the past year or so.

Physio and painkillers is the way I've gone, because I don't want to fuse the ankles (until I have to). Daily, debilitating pain is my sidekick. Every time I pop into a supermarket I buy a couple of packets of Ibupro and Para.

Last summer, after a nasty flare up (after a twisting accident - must give up the 50's dancing), a lovely doc gave me a mahoosive supply of Naproxen and Codeine.

best summer ever

I hate to be miserable about it, but I think we're knackered. The NHS, imperfect as it undoubtedly is, is being systematically undermined.

The NHS has been failing for years and that has nothing to do with brexit let's see what happens the doom and gloom predicted when the leave voters won has not happened and let's not get into another brexit debate it has been done to death here and never ends well. :wink:

oh, yes, I get that. I've seen homes broken over the arguments. I'm not judging anyone.

I just want the mender to fix me foot. :smile:

I am in the same boat with my shoulder i am trying not to go down the painkiller route but i know its only a matter of time before i have no choice.

Go into a pharmacy and try to buy the 200+ Paracetamol that I need every month to keep the pain from my arthritis under control. I think the maximum they are allowed to sell at any one time is something like 20 capsules; limited so that I can't use them to commit suicide with! :doh:

Needless to say, the legislation that limits the amount of analgesics that I can buy at any one time was passed well before the recent changes to what a doctor will and will not prescribe.

What do you think the chances are that the law will be amended to let me buy what I need? My own guess revolves around a snowball in hell. :whistle:

It is a pain. I now instinctively just buy them when ever I'm in.

That said I'm not sure they should be scripted, maybe just some exemptions given on quantity. After all how much does it cost to script what you can buy for 20p?

@Dutto - For you it's an inconvenience but if you need 200 tablets a time i am sure there must be a way round it as you won't be the only one as for the rest of us and as grunge said we have been getting ripped off for years it's time it came to an end.

About £3.50 for that many 'own brand' paracetamol at any supermarket. 'Course you're no longer allowed to buy that many on the ridiculous premise of dissuading someone from topping themselves. Yeah right! A rip off. I was prescribed something before xmas with a fancy name for pain relief, and when I looked it up it was exactly the same as Solpadeine but I got half as many for twice the price on prescription!

Things are different in Wales regarding prescriptions.

I read this week that nhs England were stoping 10 types of prescriptions that will save £400m a year. To me it was a good thing. Half the stuff on the list doesn't actually do anything according to the medical experts.

@dutto my local chemist does view of 64 paracetamol and ibuprofen, you can buy two at a time. Surely if you are taking nearly 10 a day the effect they actually have wears off over time. Did you watch that BBC documentary where there was a lady taking extreme amount of those tablets for neck pain, the doctor cut them right down and after a week the woman said she had the same level of pain as when she was taking the tablets.

Is it not the NHS being ripped off by the pharmaceutical companies? They obviously don't have the same buyers as the supermarkets. .

I don't actually take the prescribed 8 Paracetamol per day because I recognise that they will become ineffective over time if I do; but unfortunately, changing to another analgesic such as Ibuprofen isn't an option because I use an ointment that is laced with the stuff and apparently I can overdose on Ibuprofen if I then take it in tablet form.

With regard to visiting the pharmacy in person, despite living in town my local pharmacy is about two miles away and I would spend half my life using my Bus Pass to get there.

Yet again, this "Hell in a Handbag." government have a "Think Tank" that is apparently planning to sort this problem out for me by getting rid of bus passes. :doh:

I think the phrase is "My cup runneth over." :whistle:

PS

Hard to believe but true.

On our way to France for three months we call in at ASDA Pharmacy in Boston:

Me. "Could I have four tubes of Germoloids Ointment please?"

A. "I'm only allowed to sell you two."

Me. "Why?"

A. "Government Regulations."

Me. "You DO know what I'm going to do with it don't you?"

A. Embarrassed silence then "I'm sorry but it's government regulations."

Wife joins me so "I'll have two and the lady will have two as well." Exit Stage Left with four tubes of Germoloids Ointment.

I have yet to see the headline
"SUICIDE BY GERMOLOIDS OINTMENT!"​
but I live in hope! :lol:

Ive always found in france that pharmacys sell loads of stuff you can't get here without a script, and most of them speak english quite well

By the time you reach the end of this you will be as gobsmacked as i was when i was told.

A friend of SWMBO works in a council run care home every month they get their meds sent from the local chemist to fill prescriptions sent from the doctors who visit the home, for some reason they do not stock check before the order goes in so every month when they book the new meds in they have many packets of unopened tablets already in the cupboard which is caused by residents only taking tablets when needed, these unopened packs of tablets are thrown into a bin bag taken back to the chemist where they are destroyed, we are talking thousands of pounds every month from one small home, the staff who deal with this have asked several times why they do not put them back on the shelf and they were told its because they have been off the premises so are classed as used.

The care home supervisors (who do not stock check) are not totally to blame as residents can go into hospital so do not take the tablets and while in hospital their medication can be changed ladding to the over stock problem, there are many reasons why there can be an over stock problem but surely there must be a way to stop this waste of money.

Latest posts

Back