stouts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Price777

Reaction score
Looking to taste some good stouts I really like Guinness anyone
Know any good ones to buy and where from

Start with the Sam Smith Oatmeal and Russian Imperial stouts - the oatmeal is pretty much the benchmark for the style and they;re both delicious. Not that easy to find, though.

+1 for Sam smiths oatmeal stout. Their chocolate stout is nice too as is the extra stout on tap.

Try some porters to as historically they're the same or similar. Fullers London porter is great, St Peters cream stout and old style porter are decent too.

Not a stout but Adams broadside is dark and roasty and very nice.

Some dark milds might also be your thing.

Make or buy?

Kit or All Grain?

Need a bit more information. Sorry! :doh:

Well eventually i wanna make one from a kit but for now i Would just like to taste a few of them so I'm just recommendations on some good stouts to buy from shops bottles or in cans

For beer kits, Coopers stout is a really good one even though it's only a single can kit.

St Peters Cream Stout is good too.

I used to drink stouts and porters pretty much exclusively; now I have been lured in by the hop... all suggestions here are great, Bristol Beer Factory ultimate stout is excellent as well for commercial, or Brooklyn Brewery's dark chocolate stout. Kit wise you can't go wrong with a coopers and can throw just about anything at it and not mess it up. I have done a few, including one with an additional kg of dark malt, 300g of brown sugar, and brewed to only 3 gallons, which was interesting...(ie extremely alcoholic)

Guinness Antwerpen Stout, had one last night and it was a real find. Flipside (small brewery in Nottingham) do a 'Russian Rouble' that is amazing.

Well eventually i wanna make one from a kit but for now i Would just like to taste a few of them so I'm just recommendations on some good stouts to buy from shops bottles or in cans

I'm definitely NOT being a "Homebrew Snob" when I say I've never actually bought one in the last 50 years; just telling the truth.

However, in my experimental stage (when I decided i didn't like Guinness) I did drink Mackesons Milk Stout for a while. How about getting one of these as your "Starter for Ten"?

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/winter-p...gn=Lengow_GS&gclid=CI-v8vS3j9MCFXMz0wodJ10CGA

Not cheap, but it will save a lot of shoe-leather! :thumb:

Harvey's Imperial Extra Double Stout is a winner, you can buy it online from the brewery shop. If I remember correctly it could be bottle conditioned and you can get their fantastic yeast as well.

There's a Fullers Black Cab Stout that's very nice, the Shepherd and Neame Double Stout is very nice. I've not had the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout but it's on the list. If you pop into a Spoons and check their ale selection and they have a stout on, have a pint. Their cask ale selections have been very nice recently and I've even seen things like cask Wherry available.

This topic surfaces from time to time and I always give out my simple AG recipe:

3kg Maris Otter
1Kg Flaked Barley
500g Black or Roast Barley

all these sizes are what your LHBS will sell in.

Here's the secret ingredient: 100g Acidulated Malt

This gives the stout a twang, just like Guinness (although I think Guinness use a sour mash)

Any hops like EKG to bring the IBU to 25-30 and S04/ S05 yeast.

Just keep experimenting with that recipe.

Commercially, I like Titanic on draught, Dragon in bottles and Lion stout when I'm in Sri-Lanka.

I tend to brew my stout kits strong and am currently thinking about mixing up a stout x barley wine frankenbeer.

I've got a milk stout that's ready for kegging. Will let you know what it's like in about a month!

Hallow pal,
How did your milk stout turn out?
Just pitched today..
Done choc milk, caramel choc stout and a few experimental like this one.
Maris otter
Roasted barley
Choc Malt
Black malt
Flacked oats
Lactose
Goldings
But I only had California ale yeast.
A lot going on with this one...but small amounts of the specialty grains etc.
Later m8
Bri

Latest posts

Back