I despair

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......but not Media studies?

My point being, that getting a degree demonstrates that you have the ability to apply yourself to study and see a project through to completion. That in itself has value to potential employers regardless of the subject.

My point being, that getting a degree demonstrates that you have the ability to apply yourself to study and see a project through to completion. That in itself has value to potential employers regardless of the subject.

I think that's old hat now that every second young person has a degree.

It might mean something if you go to a top university but if it's an ex poly type place, I think you need to go for a relevant qualification to the job you want.

We have an higher education system that the individual pays for via a loan and which is now barely funded by government. So why would these institutions which are being made to act like businesses be open to state interference in their recruitment? Surely it's down to a person to make the rational choice about which course suits them and their aspirations after all they're the ones picking up the tab for it when they get a job.
IF the government funded higher education fully then I could see that the provision of certain courses could be controlled for national strategic interests but it somewhat sounds like a Stalinist 5 year plan.

Immigration is another tricky subject but in general with an ageing population and a growing economy someone has to do the jobs to create the wealth to pay for everything.

I wonder what the state pay?
I bet a fair bit more than people.
People can make a rational choice but there choice can be steered somewhat with financial incentives.

I think the ever growing population to pay for the old is just a Ponzi scheme, where does it end?
The immmigrants will get old too, plus I don't fancy the whole of the UK turning into places like Birmingham and London filled with disparate groups of people with no base culture to bond them.

I'm gonna get a degree in climate change crapola. That seems to be in fashion, these days, but what are you supposed to actually do with it apart from talk cobblers and annoy folk?

I'm gonna get a degree in climate change crapola. That seems to be in fashion, these days, but what are you supposed to actually do with it apart from talk cobblers and annoy folk?

I imagine some Ancient Greek said nearly exactly the same thing on a homebrewing forum when Pythagoras spent time trying to prove the world was spherical in 500BC.

We study, we learn, we grow.

I imagine some Ancient Greek said nearly exactly the same thing on a homebrewing forum when Pythagoras spent time trying to prove the world was spherical in 500BC.

We study, we learn, we grow.

What did he do with his new-found knowledge - try to make it flat again? That's what these climate types are at - a futile pursuit to engineer the climate of a planetary body. Utterly laughable, and then some. I hope Trump puts a swift end to this nonsense like he said he would.

What did he do with his new-found knowledge - try to make it flat again? That's what these climate types are at - a futile pursuit to engineer the climate of a planetary body. Utterly laughable, and then some. I hope Trump puts a swift end to this nonsense like he said he would.

:doh:

me thinks someone needs to study media studies and learn that celebrities are not credible sources of primary information..

Gunge....don't waste your time because by the time you qualify they would be totally disagreeing about it and you'd be under qualified....PLUS I don't think you could every manage to talk cobblers or annoy anyone even if you had a degree to prove it....you seem too nice for that!

There is...I'm heading the course. Gunge already has his name down. There is of course, men only bogs.....ladies will have to trawl round the locality asking at any shops to use theirs.
All welcome...

I wonder what the state pay?
I bet a fair bit more than people.
People can make a rational choice but there choice can be steered somewhat with financial incentives.

I think the ever growing population to pay for the old is just a Ponzi scheme, where does it end?
The immmigrants will get old too, plus I don't fancy the whole of the UK turning into places like Birmingham and London filled with disparate groups of people with no base culture to bond them.

How many degrees do you need any one wanting a couple let me know, i will pick you them up in bangkok next time i am there, i think a couple hundred quid each is the going rate, You can get a job teaching English if you have a white shirt and a tie. Degree a two a penny name your type I am not joking here

How many degrees do you need any one wanting a couple let me know, i will pick you them up in bangkok next time i am there, i think a couple hundred quid each is the going rate, You can get a job teaching English if you have a white shirt and a tie. Degree a two a penny name your type I am not joking here
I am sure you are right :thumb:.
Trouble is in real jobs you get found out very quickly if you got hired on the back of a phoney degree, assuming of course you actually got passed the interview stage.

It's not the fault of students that most employers now request that someone has a degree for almost any job oddly though it's many of the huge professional services firms, the Deloitte, EY and so on that have some really good apprentice schemes. Equally they recognise that the degree subject isn't critical it's the skills and ability the individuals have that are more important. If you study Psychology, for example, you could end up doing years of low paid care work in the hope of finally getting a good job but in fact most Psychology courses have some important analytical elements to them and those skills are valuable it's not unusual to find Psychology graduates in highly paid positions in the city. This trend is repeated across almost all subject areas.

Latest posts

Back