when and when not to add

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
right guys
I trying to make up my own recipe got the grain done
and now the hops when do you know at what stage of the boil to add the hops
any help would be grate

What style of beer are you planning? Different styles benefit from different schedules.

You'll usually have some hops that are in for the full boil providing only bittering, hops in the middle providing bitterness and flavour, and late and/or flameout hops which provide mainly flavour and aroma.

For bittering, add hops at the start of the boil. For aroma and taste add hops anytime between 15 min. before end of boil and end of boil itself. You can check this on 'Brewers Friend' or 'Beersmith' once fermentation is under way you can also dry hop the beer.
Cheers

For bittering, add hops at the start of the boil. For aroma and taste add hops anytime between 15 min. before end of boil and end of boil itself. You can check this on 'Brewers Friend' or 'Beersmith' once fermentation is under way you can also dry hop the beer.
Cheers

With a decent malt bill, bitterness up front I would add maybe at 10, 5 minutes and hops after flame out for a bitter but usually I would not dry hop this style.

Maybe that's just me but I reckon you can get enough bitterness and spicy/earthiness from late hops depending on which type you like.

Hi!
Hold back your flavour/aroma hops until the boil has finished. Add them when the wort cools to 64C or add them to the fermented beer as a hop tea at bottling time.

Just like my answer in the other thread you created. You need to use brewing software and enter the correct alpha acids for the hops you are usjng

Hi!
Hold back your flavour/aroma hops until the boil has finished. Add them when the wort cools to 64C or add them to the fermented beer as a hop tea at bottling time.

That wouldn't be my approach for a bitter, I think you want to restraint the aroma so I'd put them at 60, 15 and 5. That's the beauty of this home brew lark, there are many answers to a question.

Most of the reciepe in Graham Wheelers, Brew Your own British Real Ale are bitters and most of them have a very simple hops schedule. 60min bittering charge and a 10 min flavour/aroma addition.

My last bitter had the same hop schedule and turned out great

Latest posts

Back