Summer brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoatboy

Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question about summer brewing.

What's the deal eh?

I don't have a fridge, so all my beer has to sit in the shed post fermentation.

Is this an issue? The instructions I have say 6 weeks at 12 degrees to condition.

For summer brewing I use high heat tolerance yeasts and when it comes to conditioning, as i don't have a fridge to condition in I do end up with cloudy beer. In the middle of summer the shed never gets low enough to clear it, but it's not an issue it still tastes the same just not as pretty in the glass.

Good enough for me.

What's the method for replacing recpie yeast for high tolerance yeast?

I started brewing around last May. As I remember it was quite warm so fermentation temperature was an issue. .my first brews were OK. Storage wise they were left on the floor in my wooden shed. I was quite surprised how cool they were given the day time temps of over 26°c. Must have been something to do with the ground conduction of heat....maybe.
Best get a fridge....

Good enough for me.

What's the method for replacing recpie yeast for high tolerance yeast?

It's like for like. Mangrove Jacks Workhorse (up to 32C, although it's now discontinued you can still buy it from Get er Brewed), Mauribrew 514 English Ale (up to 32C), Omega hot head (at least 32C perhaps hotter)

You could also brew saisons or belgian beers during the summer as the yeast used prefers temps

I'd love a beer fridge, but there isn't much room for it.

The missus thinks I'm Walter white already with all the tubes and plastic buckets about

Can be rocking the cradle anymore with trying to get a fridge!

Saison is my beer of choice for the summer as the yeasts can take whatever heat you throw at them. WLP566 is the one I tend to use but dry Belle Saison is OK too, as is Wyeast French Saison.

Do you have a link to the ones you use?

I've seen posts that mention a sleeping bag with frozen bottles too

Do you have a link to the ones you use?

I've seen posts that mention a sleeping bag with frozen bottles too

I got mine here: http://www.geterbrewed.com/cool-brewing-bag/?sl=en

Sleeping bag seems a decent idea too. Especially those tinfoil type ones I'd wager...

I use mine as a fermentation chamber. Pop the bucket in with 2 (or more or less, depending on weather) frozen 2l water bottles.

I don't keg and I've not used it to condition bottles. I don't see why you couldn't though. Maybe @Covrich or @MyQul can advise?

For the batch I'm currently fermenting, I've added a brew belt and the Inkbird controller I won a month or so ago. Frozen bottles try to lower the temp. Once it goes below 18C, the belt cuddles it back to warmth :D Fingers crossed it'll come out OK.

Personally I worry less about my bottling conditioning temp to put them in the bag

I just carb at room temp (22 ish).. always been fine.. It wont have a detrimental effect

Update: 3 x 2l frozen water bottles & I'm cold(ish) crashing at a steady ~10 C
:)

IMG_20170426_125902-01.jpg

Latest posts

Back