Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry I am a total newbie to this so question may sound obvious.
If I am making a smaller batch do I use comparatively less yeast? 11g sachets I presume are for 40 pint kits, but what if I am only making 8 pints do I try and measure out 2.2g of yeast and if I do will the remainder keep? Thanks in advance,

Lawrence

Yes use the right proportion
For 10 litres I use half a packet. I tape over the end of the packet and store somewhere cool and dry.

If I am making a smaller batch do I use comparatively less yeast? 11g sachets I presume are for 40 pint kits, but what if I am only making 8 pints do I try and measure out 2.2g of yeast and if I do will the remainder keep? Thanks in advance,

Lawrence
If I may ask why only 8 pints?
I take it that this is your first brew or an experiment or is it down to your fermenter?
Use half now and just tape the package over as posted above.
Don't be afraid to try larger batches and if you do issues you will always learn from them👍🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

If I may ask why only 8 pints?
I take it that this is your first brew or an experiment or is it down to your fermenter?
Use half now and just tape the package over as posted above.
Don't be afraid to try larger batches and if you do issues you will always learn from them👍🍺

Wife bought me a kit which is only good for 14 pints, but I have been reading a bit about stove top brewing which if I try, I will probably start small. Don't want to go out and immediately buy larger fermenter in case wife thinks I didn't appreciate the gift.

Lawrence

Wife bought me a kit which is only good for 14 pints, but I have been reading a bit about stove top brewing which if I try, I will probably start small. Don't want to go out and immediately buy larger fermenter in case wife thinks I didn't appreciate the gift.

Lawrence

Go on you know you want to get bigger :twisted::twisted:

Once yo have appreciated the present you can scale up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxjIZHa9CASmRm4yd1FoUnk2OEU/view?usp=sharing

I find the large range of ciders does the trick :):)

Lawrence
My first brew was stove top AG kit from Geterbrewed for 5 litres so added some LME and brought it up to 23 litres and so easy done.Was my first brew for nearly 25 years.
Hooked big time now on AG with mash tun,brew bench, just finishing shelving for my bottles, grain and equipment.The wife informed me we needed a new fridge so Argos had one for £99 and I get the old one for fermenter control so win win.Go ahead and jump in🍺👍

Buy a larger 25 litre fermenter, and brew larger batches. You can tell your wife her present has inspired you to take up this 'hobby' and her small fermenter will still be used for trial brews. Then ask her what she would like you to brew for her. :thumb:

My first brew was stove top AG kit from Geterbrewed for 5 litres so added some LME and brought it up to 23 litres and so easy done.Was my first brew for nearly 25 years.
Hooked big time now on AG with mash tun,brew bench, just finishing shelving for my bottles, grain and equipment.The wife informed me we needed a new fridge so Argos had one for �£99 and I get the old one for fermenter control so win win.Go ahead and jump in🍺👍

Wasn't aware you could mix AG and LME. I'm a total novice. I got the home brew kit as part of a package with a brewing course at the walled city brewery up your neck of the woods. It's a coopers kit, I have some beer which we made on the day of the course, bottled it yesterday, and next I'm going to do the kit that came in the pack. If that goes well, I was thinking of trying a small batch stove top brew. If the results are good I may try and talk her into getting the bigger kit, cost isn't an issue. It's just where am I going to store all this fermenting beer.

Lawrence

Lawrence
I do a fair amount of 5/10 litre brews and use half a packet of an 11 grm pack:thumb:Seal it up,stick it in the fridge for another brew:)

Wasn't aware you could mix AG and LME. I'm a total novice. I got the home brew kit as part of a package with a brewing course at the walled city brewery up your neck of the woods. It's a coopers kit, I have some beer which we made on the day of the course, bottled it yesterday, and next I'm going to do the kit that came in the pack. If that goes well, I was thinking of trying a small batch stove top brew. If the results are good I may try and talk her into getting the bigger kit, cost isn't an issue. It's just where am I going to store all this fermenting beer.

Lawrence

well AG is All Grain so if you add LME it's no longer AG :doh:

but you can go from 100% Grain (AG) to 100% LME/DME and anywhere in between. As long as you don't do 100% regular sugar you should get something beery. :grin:

as for storing it. I'd never have thought I had space to store 200 bottles of beer, but it just happened :whistle:

well AG is All Grain so if you add LME it's no longer AG :doh:

but you can go from 100% Grain (AG) to 100% LME/DME and anywhere in between. As long as you don't do 100% regular sugar you should get something beery. :grin:

as for storing it. I'd never have thought I had space to store 200 bottles of beer, but it just happened :whistle:

Storing bottles will be no problem once conditioned, they can go in the garage. It's just the fermenting stage, where I will have to keep them indoors due to temperature requirements. They are some robust beers you have on your list there.

Storing bottles will be no problem once conditioned, they can go in the garage. It's just the fermenting stage, where I will have to keep them indoors due to temperature requirements. They are some robust beers you have on your list there.
I do all my fermentation and conditioning in the garage, it's all about control with a builder's trug and an aquarium heater and all in about £12.

And I thought I was toning my abv% down quite nicely :whistle:

I even made a beer weak enough that myqul could drink :lol:

Seriously the stronger beers will be good for at least 2 years it's the hop bomb beers need to be drunk quickly.

Latest posts

Back