single hop brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
thinking of using one of these hops for a single hop brew
Citra, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus
also Amarillo
what do you all think on these

They are all great hops but I personally would be swayed towards Amarillo.

The resultant aroma is of medium strength and very distinct.
The aroma is described as flowery, spicy and citrus-like with a distinct orange bouquet.
The hop is good for flavor and aromaIt can also be used for bittering effectively because of the low cohumulone content.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

thinking of using one of these hops for a single hop brew
Citra, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus
also Amarillo
what do you all think on these

All great hops, in terms of a single hop brew I personally would do either centennial, cascade or Amarillo. The Greg Hughes single hop Amarillo recipe is highly regarded

They are all great hops but I personally would be swayed towards Amarillo.

The resultant aroma is of medium strength and very distinct.
The aroma is described as flowery, spicy and citrus-like with a distinct orange bouquet.
The hop is good for flavor and aromaIt can also be used for bittering effectively because of the low cohumulone content.

Aye, conversely Columbus tends to be used as a bittering hop

I did a Chinook brew with challenger at 60 mins and the rest all chinook,went down very well:thumb:

I would go the Chinook route, only because I make it about once a month, and itS my goto beer recipe

I've done a stout using Amarillo and second batch is fermenting as we speak.Loved it so much I'm going to perfect it as my house stout.

what's your grain bill and the amount of hops you use
is it a ipa
FOR 10 LITRES BATCH
2kg Marris Otter
102 gms carapils

Chinook 8gms at 60
8gms at 25
8gs at 15
8gms at 5
8ms DRY HOP DAY 5
Makes a really nice refreshing beer

thanks for that @robin54 I could double that to get a 23ltr batch
My recipe will give you 10L post boil.
To make 23L you will need after sparging at least30 L - don't forget the boil off and how much your grain will absorb.
why don't you try 10L first - and when you have the hang of that go bigger.
PS I sparge using the grain bag in a sieve and gently tipping hot water over. You can sparge into anything even your FV

Cascade is my favourite on your list, in fact I like it so much I now grow it :)

Also a fan of Amarillo, enough of a difference to the other zingy hops.

Not a fan of Columbus, find it too harsh.

I've done a single-hopper with Centennial and that was an absolute belter. Would make again but apart from Chez Gunge stout I never make a recipe twice... some anomaly in my psyche. Also done one with my homegrown First Gold - another cracker and which exceeded my expectations tbh.

Latest posts

Back