How to make a bigger batch if only have a 10 liter pot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico1973

Reaction score
Hi I have a 10 liter boil pot and I want to make 20 liter of my next brew. Is it okay to boil 2 batches?

I would do a partial mash and top up with water and a tin of liquid malt extract. No need to boil the malt extract put it straight into the FV. Made some really nice beers like this with a 7l pot. Put your recipe into some brewing software as the smaller amount of water will affect hop utilisation. You could boil 2 batches if you want as well and try a different yeast in each or hop schedule.

I would do a partial mash and top up with water and a tin of liquid malt extract. No need to boil the malt extract put it straight into the FV. Made some really nice beers like this with a 7l pot. Put your recipe into some brewing software as the smaller amount of water will affect hop utilization. You could boil 2 batches if you want as well and try a different yeast in each or hop schedule.

Thanks a dam good idea

If you are going to do this on a regular basis instead of as a one off then i would say go the larger stockpot route, it only takes 4-6 brews with a larger stockpot to recoup the cost versus buying tinned malt extract, a 25l pot should be big enough for 20 litre batches but someone who uses one could advise you better on that.

before buying a 25l stockpot, worth considering if you are upto lifting 20kg+ at arms length off the hob! (Gets pretty hot that boiling wort!). Assuming you need to move it for the chilling.

This is a main concern. I have pumps but I still need to get my fermenters upstairs and into my chamber. As I get bigger and bigger, it's getting very heavy. My last batch at 35 liters almost took my back out. Now considering using sterilized, large 8 liter jars to take the wort upstairs and dump it into the FV.

Thanks all for the responses not able to buy a larger pot possible able to buy another 10 liter one.
Any one have a thought on 2 batch boiling? So mash the grain boil then add it to my Cooper's fv, leave why boling hot why I boil the other well I say 10 liter it's more 7 the pot is only 10 full. So 2 batches of 7 liters boiling hot then top off with cold water to the 23 liter mark.
Guess like malt extract kit method.
Possibly add a tin or dry extract?
Hope makes sense.

You would need to thoroughly blend the 20 litres together before you split for the boil, otherwise one batch will be full of high gravity runnings and one full of low gravity runnings.

I think I'm gonna buy another 12l pot from wilkos. Using my casserole pot (shallower 5l) for the dunk sparge.
This way I can achieve a bigger volume of our AG instead of partial. Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but it's nice to know both ways I guess.
This way the hobs will just about reach 100c in a reasonable time and I'll just balance the ingredients out between the two pots.
I'll obviously forget nearer the time to buy some ice to cool them down which I'm sure will add to the fun

Thanks all for the responses not able to buy a larger pot possible able to buy another 10 liter one.
Any one have a thought on 2 batch boiling? So mash the grain boil then add it to my Cooper's fv, leave why boling hot why I boil the other well I say 10 liter it's more 7 the pot is only 10 full. So 2 batches of 7 liters boiling hot then top off with cold water to the 23 liter mark.
Guess like malt extract kit method.
Possibly add a tin or dry extract?
Hope makes sense.

I use extract to make 22 litre batches in this.....

http://www.wilko.com/casserole+stockpots/wilko-stock-pot-12l/invt/0322498

I do a mini mash in a smaller pot and empty the wort into my wilkos pot. I add 2-3kg of malts (DME) & sugars to about 8 or 9 litres max. diluted to 22 litres with pre-chilled (almost frozen) bottled water.

I don't boil larger volumes because for me:

Harder to cool. Can't lift a bigger volume of boiled wort at arms length and I don't have space for any more or larger kit. Also the cooker would most likely not be powerful enough to boil the 25+ litres or so of wort.

moving an FV with 22 litres is at the limits of my abilities, and lets face it i'm unlikely to get any more capable as I get older :-(

If you buy the wilko 12L pot, which is actually 15L (for the princely sum of £18) , I've found you can fit 4.2kg of grain in their to do MAXI-BIAB. This means you can do a 23L brew of 1.040 OG or if you want to do a stronger brew you'll need to lower th brew length

If you buy the wilko 12L pot, which is actually 15L (for the princely sum of �£18) , I've found you can fit 4.2kg of grain in their to do MAXI-BIAB. This means you can do a 23L brew of 1.040 OG or if you want to do a stronger brew you'll need to lower th brew length

ah! 1040 og :lol: 1047 was the lowest og i've done Im not adverse to lowering my brew length down to about 20 litres, but anything less isn't worth getting out of bed for :wink:

I did this today:

brew 29 :

20 litres chase spring water
250g choc
250g roasted barley
250g aromatic
500g dark crystal
3kg medium dme
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar
50g simcoe pellets
mangrove jacks m42 strong ale yeast

3 litres water strike temp 73 for a 1:10 hour mash at 65. the grains went into a smaller pot and into oven on slow cook setting to keep temp at 65.

poured the grains via a strainer into the bigger wilco's boil pot. sparged with 3 litres 80 deg water. added 1 litre water then stirred in all the dried extract and candy sugar

10 min boil then poured wort onto the bagged hops in fv and let sit for 30 mins.

topped up to 21.5 litres

yeast re-hydrated with 140ml water at 34 deg C

pitched at 32

og 1080c

so this will be around 9%.

ah! 1040 og :lol: 1047 was the lowest og i've done Im not adverse to lowering my brew length down to about 20 litres, but anything less isn't worth getting out of bed for :wink:

I did this today:

brew 29 :

20 litres chase spring water
250g choc
250g roasted barley
250g aromatic
500g dark crystal
3kg medium dme
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar
50g simcoe pellets
mangrove jacks m42 strong ale yeast

3 litres water strike temp 73 for a 1:10 hour mash at 65. the grains went into a smaller pot and into oven on slow cook setting to keep temp at 65.

poured the grains via a strainer into the bigger wilco's boil pot. sparged with 3 litres 80 deg water. added 1 litre water then stirred in all the dried extract and candy sugar

10 min boil then poured wort onto the bagged hops in fv and let sit for 30 mins.

topped up to 21.5 litres

yeast re-hydrated with 140ml water at 34 deg C

pitched at 32

og 1080c

so this will be around 9%.

9%, A light supping ale then? :lol:

"Im not adverse to lowering my brew length down to about 20 litres, but anything less isn't worth getting out of bed for :wink:"

I think it can depend on how much you drink or how often you brew. If I wasnt happy with 1.040 beers or lower brew lengths, I'd just get a bigger pot. My last one was 18.5L and my hob could cope with that

I think I'm gonna buy another 12l pot from wilkos. Using my casserole pot (shallower 5l) for the dunk sparge.
This way I can achieve a bigger volume of our AG instead of partial. Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but it's nice to know both ways I guess.
This way the hobs will just about reach 100c in a reasonable time and I'll just balance the ingredients out between the two pots.
I'll obviously forget nearer the time to buy some ice to cool them down which I'm sure will add to the fun
Exactly what i do myself,Use my 12ltr to boil and the smaller one for a dunk, however my biab's are mostly 5/6 litre batches.

If you buy the wilko 12L pot, which is actually 15L (for the princely sum of £18) , I've found you can fit 4.2kg of grain in their to do MAXI-BIAB. This means you can do a 23L brew of 1.040 OG or if you want to do a stronger brew you'll need to lower th brew length

Can you explain the maxi part myqul.
I can't see much online about it, nothing much on YouTube. It might save me the 18 quid.
If it's similar to partial then I'll prob leave it as I'm trying to stick to AG for the recipies in the CAMRA book

Cheers

Can you explain the maxi part myqul.
I can't see much online about it, nothing much on YouTube. It might save me the 18 quid.
If it's similar to partial then I'll prob leave it as I'm trying to stick to AG for the recipies in the CAMRA book

Cheers

It's basically making a concentrated all AG wort (no partial involved) and diluting it to your desired brew length in the AV

Check out this thread where I explain how I do it. You'll notice at the time I had an 18.5L pot. Now I have a 15L pot. With the 15L pot I can fit a max of about 4.2kg of grain in there to mash with about 10L of water. This means I can do a 23L brew at 1.040. Any higher OG and I just do a smaller brew length. You'll also see me talk about a 'mini boil'. I no longer do that and just do my hop additions as you would do a normal full length brew. I've found their isnt much, if any, difference between the two (mini boil vs non mini boil)

If by the CAMRA book you mean Graham Wheelers BYOBRA just follow the 19L receipe for anything over 1.040 (if like me your using an 15L pot). You can of course do almost all the milds in their at 23L as there less than 1.040

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66951

I suppose 23L is the best "bang for buck" brew volume and practical for the homebrewer, but personally I find it too much of the same beer most of the time.

I've got 2 cheap stock pots off eBay, 12L and 15L. I do the BIAB mash in the 12L pot (which conveniently just fits in the oven, heated up on min then turned off - keeps the mash temp up) then dunk sparge and boil in the 15L pot. I use this to make 12/13L AG brews, scaling the CAMRA book recipes down using Brewmate software. Works a treat. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back