Pilsner Larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The3Cockers

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Very new to forum's & asking for advice. My first larger and I do not know the best way to go next. All grain pilsner larger been in my fermenter 11days. Bubbles slowed down to nearly a stand still after 7 days at 15C. Advice was to move to a warmer place for a couple of days for diacetyl rest which I have done. It has now almost stopped with the bubbles. I have tasted and it actually tastes & smells pleasant. No butterscotch aroma. Problem! It is cloudy yellow. Will this clear in my corny keg and for how long?
When should I keg this?
Hope you can advise please?
Thank you.
Mick

Sounds like its progressing well, take a gravity reading with a hydrometer to check its at or around Final Gravity (usually 1.008 - 1.012 ish).

If FG is where it should be and definately finished primary fermentation fully its normal to rack a lager off to a clean FV to get it off the trub then store at around 2 - 4°C for 4-6 weeks to 'lager' then can be racked to corny.

Storing at low temps will also help to clear the beer further.

More than one way to skin a cat, I bottle, don't use cornies, some might suggest a different route to my above option.

I make a lot lagers, I usually treat them like ales. I ferment, then cold crash by sticking them outside or in a cold area for a few days then bottle. If it's cloudy, just say it's an unfiltered lager.

Do consider that even if the airlock isn't bubbling, there could still be fermentation going on. Depending on the yeast strain as well, leaving it for an extra week will help get rid of some off flavours. I use W-34/70 a lot but needs an extra week compared to other yeasts to get rid of a horrific sulphur taste.

Thanks all.
The yeast was a Belgium Brewferm 2 sachets. I'll take a reading and decide what action to take.
Mick

Guys. FG reading today was 1.012. Advice again please. I want to rack in 2 days straight into a corny kek (First time for cornys too). This is not because I want to rush this, but because I have a better chance of keeping the temp low in the smaller keg than in secondary fermenter.
Is this doable?
Thanks

Mick

1.012 is a respectable finishing gravity, but it depends on whether it's still fermenting or not. Have you taken a reading before? If so was it higher than. 1.012 or the same? If not would it be possible to take a reading in 2 days time before transfer?

@The3Cockers
Er, whats the rush?
If it's still cloudy the yeast is still working.
Don't forget the usual guideline of consistent SG readings on consecutive days before you move on.
Better do that and leave it until it clears or at least starts to clear before you move on.
Remember...
Patience is the friend of the Homebrewer

Hi all. Good sound advice & I bow to your experience. I've today added finnings ready to rack tomorrow. On disturbing the wort it has started again to ferment albeit slowly. I did not take a gravity reading initially but a refractometer reading. The ABV has dropped considerably.
Now I will wait a couple more days before racking.
My eagerness may be that this has tied up my stainless fermenter plus I have to work this around my continental shift pattern.
Great advice folks.
I will keep you up to date.
Cheers all.
Mick

Hi all. Good sound advice & I bow to your experience. I've today added finnings ready to rack tomorrow. On disturbing the wort it has started again to ferment albeit slowly. I did not take a gravity reading initially but a refractometer reading. The ABV has dropped considerably.
Now I will wait a couple more days before racking.
My eagerness may be that this has tied up my stainless fermenter plus I have to work this around my continental shift pattern.
Great advice folks.
I will keep you up to date.
Cheers all.
Mick

The ABV has dropped or the SG has dropped?

Folks. I racked this Pilsner to a corny keg 2 days ago after it had cleared dramatically.
I never expected or have seen a beer clear so fast. It's now at about 7-8C & gassed.
I intend to leave it in this state for around 2 weeks.
Will this be ok?
Thanks for your advice.
Mick

Well you sort of skipped the whole "lagering" portion of this brew but I have heard of people doing this in a bind a saying it was good anyway, so you would probably be ok😁

I have never "lagered" my lagers, they come out fine tasting of ruddy good lagers.

Evening all. Pilsner has turned out fine. Clear n crisp. Just over 6% ABV.
Pulled through a flash cooler. Not the liveliest but great pilsner taste.
Thanks for all advice.

Latest posts

Back