120 litre drum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skulltat280

Regular.
Reaction score
anyone use anything lie this for brewing? i was thinking of using it as an all in one using BIAB method

its made of grade material

120-litre-full-open-top-plastic-drum.jpg

I've looked at these but on the 60l size and are quite versatile for storage, fermenters and HLT,'s.Shall maybe get one at some stage.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I have seen people on here use the smaller versions for fermenters and boilers, some have said the plastic softens when used as a boiler but its still OK but could be more of an issue on a larger one. I think PP is preferred over HDPE for boilers but I don't think you can easily get anything over 60L in PP.

Store my grain in a 60L one. Have seen plenty of posts of the 60L ones being used as kettles.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

If you have taste buds I think you will find they are not good for boiling.

HDPE 2 shouldn't taint that's why it's classed as food grade, as is LDPE 4 and PP 5. Tupperware wouldn't have been very successful if it did.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I seem to remember members saying they get a bit floppy as they heat up i don't know if this could be a problem with the large version but worth bearing in mind.

attachment.php

I would be interested to see how one could be adapted for fermenting in. Anyone use one for that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only 'adaption' I had planned on with the 60L one I have was sticking some cling film on the top like I normally do. Although I do have a racking cane 'connector' which means I can connect two normal size racking canes together to get the beer out without having to fit a tap

a lot cheaper here but you do need to buy a 1/2 pallet for a reasonable delivery iirc..

i got 4 x 50l ex mango chutney barrels 2nd use for circa £8 each iirc a few years back, 1 was a boiler the rest are still grain store / brewday stools.. ;)

btw ex mango chutney barrels will need a good clean and airing to de-whiff before use,,

as for using hdpe for boil kettle/hlt.. yes the plastic softens with heat over 85c, i simply used the lid with ts centre removed as a neck stiffner to keep the mouth open and round and supported the drain valve before opening etc. perhaps a feature of the fairly high mounted elements the kettle could start to wobble with the boil when fuelled with 2 x 2.4kw kettle elements, amusing initially it was a belly dancing brew kettle, and easily cured by cutting power to one element which was sufficient to maintan a boil all be it way less entertaining,

Back