Newbie Burco/Cygnet kettle false bottoms/hop filters recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptSlow

Reaction score
I am planning a new brew kettle, it is a step up from my previous stove top BIAB brews. I am very much new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

I have just purchased a Burco/Cygnet 30L electric boiler (MFCT1030). My intention is to make an all-in-one system based on a BM/GF clone. I’ll be using a BIA(Bag/Bucket) style initially and then further down the line I would like to add a PID temp control and a recirculation pump for better mash temperature control.

My question is around recommendations for taps and false bottoms/hop filters.

I have seen a lot of people add SS ball-valves with bazooka filters. Do bazooka filters provide enough flow for a recirculation pump? They seem to be prone to blockages? One option I’m favouring is a longer braided filter bent in a circle around the kettle wall to maximise the effects from whirlpooling after boil.

The other option I was thinking of was a domed false bottom with some SS mesh. Though I’m not sure if this is the best approach if I use a grain basket elevated by a pizza/cooling grid.

I’m tending towards the bazooka filter. Have I missed anything?

Final question 1/2" or 3/8” tap and connectors?

Thanks!

Back