Lindr Pygmy 25K Exclusive Single Tap with Corny Kegs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just getting into using/buying the corny keys and I've been looking at these following your pointers.

This model has a compressor and cooler for the beer, so cools and dispenses on its own. I.e. I won't need to build a kegerator, and looks nice enough for inside my man cave!

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/pygmy25single.html

My question is, although i don't need a CO2 bottle with this to use it, do I still need CO2 to charge/carbonate or do something to the beer in the corny kegs whilst in storage conditioning. Or do I just fill the Keg to the top with beer, and then just leave it with the lid on sealed until its needed??

Does the beer stay ok, fresh in the pipes, when the unit is turned off. I probably just have 1 or 2 beers a night 'doctor'!

Also anyone got experience with the lindr equipment?

If you can drink a cornie full of beer in quick order then go for it but if not it'll taint your beer very quickly as a compressor uses compressed O2 to drive your beer through the pygmy, far more sense to use your C02 pub bottled gas to drive yourbeer through and keep it from spoiling,much cheaper than a compressor pygmy too.I have the one tap 20L and have it connected up with a male cornie disconnect same as on the cornie out post so its no issue swapping kegs over

I remember looking at these. This one is the K version which uses compressed air which, as Godsdog says, will stale your beer unless you drink it quickly. You can carbonate naturally in cornies with priming sugar, but that will make sediment. The non-K versions, on the other hand, need CO2 which means that the beer will keep, and they're a lot cheaper too. Plus, you could use the CO2 to force carbonate the beer, although this is harder if the keg isn't kept in a fridge. I think @Fore has one of the non-K versions.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56686&highlight=lindr+pygmy
the original thread for them.i highly recommend them as they are a brilliant bit of kit
oh and if you are gonna buy one buy direct from the german supplier with a paypal monetary conversion to euros itll save you pounds.i think at present youd get the 20L Non K delivered for half the price of that link from a british supplier

just looking at the link in the previous post the current price is around just short of £300 which incudes delivery around£18 and if memory serves paypal charged me £8 for conversion of pounds to euros and in payment to them

Thanks once again for all your advice - I have been reading up on these pending your advice and I forgot about the oxygen contamination thing so thanks for reminding me on that.

So i can either buy the german one, or I spoke with the UK suppliers of the one in the title, and you can use it with the compressor turned off so basically it would be used with just the Co2 pushing it through as per the non compressor version.

I can get it for around �£150 more than the german one as they have offer on it and I like the look of the black as well, or do i like silver.....

I also like the option of 2 taps. I mainly make wine, and I'm thinking I could keep white wine in a corny keg at low CO2 pressure and then have 1 tap for beer and a second tap for white wine. I am aware that Co2 is of course soluble so the white wine but might be an experiment, and could produce fizzy wine which I don't want.

If the wine didn't work I could use the 2 taps for different beers etc. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm only going to buy it once so I may as well pay a bit more for flexibility and money saving isn't my primary concern. Its making my life easier that's the main concern and I actually prefer my beer now to purchased/pub mass produced rubbish.

By
Thanks once again for all your advice - I have been reading up on these pending your advice and I forgot about the oxygen contamination thing so thanks for reminding me on that.

So i can either buy the german one, or I spoke with the UK suppliers of the one in the title, and you can use it with the compressor turned off so basically it would be used with just the Co2 pushing it through as per the non compressor version.

I can get it for around �£150 more than the german one as they have offer on it and I like the look of the black as well, or do i like silver.....

I also like the option of 2 taps. I mainly make wine, and I'm thinking I could keep white wine in a corny keg at low CO2 pressure and then have 1 tap for beer and a second tap for white wine. I am aware that Co2 is of course soluble so the white wine but might be an experiment, and could produce fizzy wine which I don't want.

If the wine didn't work I could use the 2 taps for different beers etc. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm only going to buy it once so I may as well pay a bit more for flexibility and money saving isn't my primary concern. Its making my life easier that's the main concern and I actually prefer my beer now to purchased/pub mass produced rubbish.
You pays your money you takes your choice,but why pay over the odds on the German company and why pay for a compressor model you'd never need? Best of luck anyway I have no regrets or complaints as regards mine

Hello. Yes I have the non-K version. And both above are correct; the K version uses compressed AIR to push the beer out, so can only be used in cases where you expect to empty the keg very quickly. Home brewers would almost always want the non-K version and instead use CO2 in the keg to push the beer out.

Questions about this unit often suggest it is being over thought. Think of the Lindr as nothing more than an extra length of beer line and a tap. It just so happens that this extra bit of beer line can be chilled. It's no more complex than that. The rest of the system, Lindr excluded, is a lot more complex, and I'd recommend you have that in place first. So you should already have a keg (e.g. Cornie keg), a CO2 tank & regulator, beer line and a tap. Adding the Lindr will then be child's play, as the only thing that becomes redundant is your existing tap, because the Lindr comes with one (and a very high quality one at that). Also, you might need to reduce the length of your original beer line a little, to compensate for the increase in total beer line length that the Lindr brings. After taking receipt of the Lindr, the only extra I needed was an adapter to attach my existing beer line to the back of the unit.

So if you can see the Lindr as just as an extra length of beer line, you understand that serving is the same as a standard Cornie keg set up. Cleaning is also no different; just push the cleaner from the keg, through the unit, as you would to clean your current line and tap. And although there is only one tap on my version, it is not difficult to switch the beer out connector from one keg to another, as you would anyway with a multiple keg, single tap, set up. Or maybe pipe up something more fancy as I think Godsdog has. And yes the beer goes a bit stale if left sitting in the line for a long time, but I always had to run a bit off even before installing the Lindr. I can't bring myself to waste it though, just drink it separate to the fresh pint.

Hope it helps.

And glad to see it's working well for you Godsdog.

Hello. Yes I have the non-K version. And both above are correct; the K version uses compressed AIR to push the beer out, so can only be used in cases where you expect to empty the keg very quickly. Home brewers would almost always want the non-K version and instead use CO2 in the keg to push the beer out.

Questions about this unit often suggest it is being over thought. Think of the Lindr as nothing more than an extra length of beer line and a tap. It just so happens that this extra bit of beer line can be chilled. It's no more complex than that. The rest of the system, Lindr excluded, is a lot more complex, and I'd recommend you have that in place first. So you should already have a keg (e.g. Cornie keg), a CO2 tank & regulator, beer line and a tap. Adding the Lindr will then be child's play, as the only thing that becomes redundant is your existing tap, because the Lindr comes with one (and a very high quality one at that). Also, you might need to reduce the length of your original beer line a little, to compensate for the increase in total beer line length that the Lindr brings. After taking receipt of the Lindr, the only extra I needed was an adapter to attach my existing beer line to the back of the unit.

So if you can see the Lindr as just as an extra length of beer line, you understand that serving is the same as a standard Cornie keg set up. Cleaning is also no different; just push the cleaner from the keg, through the unit, as you would to clean your current line and tap. And although there is only one tap on my version, it is not difficult to switch the beer out connector from one keg to another, as you would anyway with a multiple keg, single tap, set up. Or maybe pipe up something more fancy as I think Godsdog has. And yes the beer goes a bit stale if left sitting in the line for a long time, but I always had to run a bit off even before installing the Lindr. I can't bring myself to waste it though, just drink it separate to the fresh pint.

Hope it helps.

And glad to see it's working well for you Godsdog.
Yeah love mine Fore and use it switched off in the winter when the cornie is cooler.I have only just recently fixed it up to a cornie style out post using one of those SS carbonation caps that fit a pet bottle,just a case of connecting the beer line to its barb and then fixed it to the inside of my bar cupboard at the back and I'm happy to report back there is no taint of the beer left in the beer line/ pygmy,also he shouldn't forget to get a 2 pin mains adapter £2 at morrisons

also he shouldn't forget to get a 2 pin mains adapter ��£2 at morrisons

Yes. Living in France, I didn't need one of those :smile:

Oh, and I did deliberate between the 20 & 25 version before I bought, and I can say that I don't feel I suffered from the lower capacity output. Of course I'm never going to drink 20 or 25 litres of beer an hour anyway, and I don't think the 25l cuts down the waiting for cooling time. I think the difference is a longer chiller pipe, which as the name suggests, give more cooling capacity as you pour one pint after the next. So even in hindsight, I'm satisfied with my purchase of the "20".

I've just ordered the black 2 tap pigmy 25k exclusive (in the title) as got the 2 tap for roughly the same price as the one tap from Draught beer online who were also very helpful, and I'll do an up date once I get it delivered and installed.

I went for this simply that I would sooner have a few extra features that I might use in the future rather than wishing I had for the sake of the difference in price. If I ever get bored of making beer they also supply kegs full of beer as well!

I would thank you guys for all your help and pointers once again, greatly appreciated.

Just an update, I've now got my 6 new kegs with all the connectors and my plan is to have 2 kegs connected to the Lindr pigmy 25k, and then 4 kegs slow carbonating in my garage on a separate gas bottle hooked into a 4 way gas manifold. Just in the process of making the beers, most of which are Festival ales.

The 'serving' kegs will be at around room temperature (19-20c) and I was just wondering what pressure do you guys set the CO2 at to serve through the Lindr ? Is there a sweet spot when pouring?

I've got the carbonation chart for the 4 kegs which I intend to slow carbonate while conditioning for a month or so.

Yeah love mine Fore and use it switched off in the winter when the cornie is cooler.I have only just recently fixed it up to a cornie style out post using one of those SS carbonation caps that fit a pet bottle,just a case of connecting the beer line to its barb and then fixed it to the inside of my bar cupboard at the back and I'm happy to report back there is no taint of the beer left in the beer line/ pygmy,also he shouldn't forget to get a 2 pin mains adapter �£2 at morrisons
Hi Godsdog. I never quite figured out what you meant by this, but if it removes any taint, then it might be worth a look. What is it you are doing exactly?

Just an update, I've now got my 6 new kegs with all the connectors and my plan is to have 2 kegs connected to the Lindr pigmy 25k, and then 4 kegs slow carbonating in my garage on a separate gas bottle hooked into a 4 way gas manifold. Just in the process of making the beers, most of which are Festival ales.

The 'serving' kegs will be at around room temperature (19-20c) and I was just wondering what pressure do you guys set the CO2 at to serve through the Lindr ? Is there a sweet spot when pouring?

I've got the carbonation chart for the 4 kegs which I intend to slow carbonate while conditioning for a month or so.

Sounds like a good plan. To have a second on tap, and to find somewhere for the 5l that the cornie can't take, I'm looking at a mini keg chilled dispenser.

I haven't done the calculation to know what my Pygmy serving pressure is. And I guess the sweet spot would depend on what drink you were serving i.e. the volumes of CO2. I think I'm sitting at around 2.0 volumes of CO2 and, although the mouth feel is good, I'm having to crank up the serving pressure to shake the CO2 out in the glass to create head. Of course I'm not touching the keg PSI, that's fixed to achieve my preferred volumes of CO2, so I'm hacking off my line until if flows fast enough to create head.

I guess you refer to serving pressure and not keg PSI. Playing with keg PSI each time you serve seems more trouble than it's worth; I prefer the set and play of the beer line.

So I set the system up yesterday and have the Pygmy 25k hooked up to the CO2, 3/8 beer line and 2 kegs, 1 with cider and one with a festival ale.

It's all become much clearer and very easy to set up. I've never used John guest fittings before and glad they are 'gas/beer tight'.

My room temperature will be around 18-19c so I'm thinking to set the CO2 at around 26psi to condition the liquid to the mid range carbonation level to start with. I have done 36 psi for a few days but having read into this I think I'll reduce back to 26psi and go from there.

I think im correct is saying the Keg pressure is to set the correct level of carbonation.

So the next step is to set the correct pour rate when dispensing through the lindr. And I am thinking this is were I select the beer line length? So I'm starting at around 7ft (just because that's what I have). So if the pour is slow and flat I shorten the beer line until it is at my desired rate?

Or as the lindrs have a flow control valve, should I just shorten the beer line in the first place as that valve will help increase/reduce flow? Rough length thoughts? The supplier said as short as possible and I think 1 metre was mentioned by one of you guys.

I think it will be a few weeks before the beer will be ready anyway for the first test run.

Ps. I can't believe I've been bottling for the last 2 years. I now this isn't cheap so not for everyone, but it is so much easier and brought the enjoyment back into the hobby for me.....

So I set the system up yesterday and have the Pygmy 25k hooked up to the CO2, 3/8 beer line and 2 kegs, 1 with cider and one with a festival ale.

It's all become much clearer and very easy to set up. I've never used John guest fittings before and glad they are 'gas/beer tight'.

My room temperature will be around 18-19c so I'm thinking to set the CO2 at around 26psi to condition the liquid to the mid range carbonation level to start with. I have done 36 psi for a few days but having read into this I think I'll reduce back to 26psi and go from there.

I think im correct is saying the Keg pressure is to set the correct level of carbonation.

So the next step is to set the correct pour rate when dispensing through the lindr. And I am thinking this is were I select the beer line length? So I'm starting at around 7ft (just because that's what I have). So if the pour is slow and flat I shorten the beer line until it is at my desired rate?

Or as the lindrs have a flow control valve, should I just shorten the beer line in the first place as that valve will help increase/reduce flow? Rough length thoughts? The supplier said as short as possible and I think 1 metre was mentioned by one of you guys.

I think it will be a few weeks before the beer will be ready anyway for the first test run.

Ps. I can't believe I've been bottling for the last 2 years. I now this isn't cheap so not for everyone, but it is so much easier and brought the enjoyment back into the hobby for me.....
You are spot on with all your questions. Sounds like you've got it well under control. I'm aiming for about 2.0 volumes of CO2, and one added advantage of this, is that the PSI setting pretty much matches the ambient temperature. So for example, at 17 degrees you need 17PSI. It slips out of this below 15C, needing +1PSI, and above 22C, needing -1PSI, but still easy to remember, and who cares about + or - 1 anyway. So as my cellar temp fluctuates, I don't need to refer to tables. My cellar has gone from about 10 degrees to about 20 degrees in about 3 weeks, so I've been pushing up my PSI's to match.

Once you have your volumes of CO2 cracked, then it's over to the beer line for flow rate. I'm using about 60cm of 3/16 @ 20PSI. With the lower PSIs I was running with a few weeks ago, flow rate was a bit slow, but as I've been pushing up the PSIs, it's starting to hit a sweet spot. I'm thinking the line I'm using right now is a summer line, and I'll probably be needing a larger diameter line for the colder months. Or I could by-pass the Pygmy completely during winter and run an extremely short 3/16 line.

All good fun.

I'm getting to the stage we're I about ready to start using the Lindr/pigmy for the first time.

I have the CO2 set at around 28psi to carbonate the beer as the temperature is around 20-22c.

Just a quick question. When i serve the beer do I need to drop the psi to a 'serving pressure' or do I just leave it were it is?

I'm getting to the stage we're I about ready to start using the Lindr/pigmy for the first time.

I have the CO2 set at around 28psi to carbonate the beer as the temperature is around 20-22c.

Just a quick question. When i serve the beer do I need to drop the psi to a 'serving pressure' or do I just leave it were it is?
Gotta be honest here,I don't and just have more patience to wait to fill the glass but as I said earlier once the lindr is in its full stride the foaming ain't that bad as the co2 doesn't exit the cold beer as quick,then when the pressure drops sufficiently I set a serving psi for the rest of the keg

Thanks Godsdog.

I tried it yesterday in the hot weather with cider and a festival ale set to max cooling 4c

First few were very foamy and then I just dialled down the flow controls valve and just took it slow and it poured the perfect pint with head. I still use heading solution in the beer and the head stayed creamy all the way down the glass.

To be fair the ale needs to clear a bit but nearly there and it was hot so I just needed to finally try the Pygmy out! I like to drink stuff 4-6 months old and now have 8 kegs in total.

The difference between kegs, the Pygmy and bottling is unbelievable and so easy I can't believe it!

Back