Homebrew company extract kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexK

Reaction score
Hi folks so after doing some kits for a while decided to try some extract brewing, ordered a couple of hbc extract kits which stated they came with 2 x 1.5 kilo of lme what I got is 2 x 1.2 kilo bags of mangrove jacks malt enhanser, question is should I add somthing else to make up the shortfall or brew short.
Also the instructions are for a full 23l boil as I only have a 20l pot how do I actually make the kit up.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers .

Only thing I have to hand at the moment is a bag of sugar think I will just brew short, would 20l be ok?

For your second question on how to brew a 23L brew in a 20L pot, you could do what I do but with AG. Simply brew the beer as normal, but you make a more concentrated wort, then top up in the FV with water. Just make sure when you do the boil, your boiling to as close to the brim of the pot as you can, as you get a lower hop utilisation in more concentrated wort. But not so much you notice. I used to add a bit more IBU/hops to compensate, but I've stopped doing this as I cant tell any difference.
I just use tap water to top up with and dont boil it or anything, just chuck it in the FV after the wort.

Thanks for the info mate unfortunately dont have a h&b nearby, the kits are irish red ale and blonde ale was going to do the red ale today any help with that one would be great.

Personally I'd brew it short as just using table suger will dry the beer out . I've just had a play with brewmate. 3kg of LME gives you and OG of 1.040 for 23L. 2.4kg give you an OG of 1.032. If you brew short to 18.5L this will give you an OG of 1.040

If you have a health food shop near, you should be able to get malt extract from their also btw

Thanks for that couple more questions how much water do I mash the grains in and how much for sparging.

Hi folks so after doing some kits for a while decided to try some extract brewing, ordered a couple of hbc extract kits which stated they came with 2 x 1.5 kilo of lme what I got is 2 x 1.2 kilo bags of mangrove jacks malt enhanser, question is should I add somthing else to make up the shortfall or brew short.
Also the instructions are for a full 23l boil as I only have a 20l pot how do I actually make the kit up.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers .
If you have bought a kit which should have 2 x 1.5kg packs LME (and that's what you expected based on the description) and you received 2 x 1.2 kg packs of LME instead, I suggest to get back on to HBC and tell them, and then ask them how they are going to correct their error. What you should not be doing, in my view, is scratching around to make up the shortfall at your expense through no fault of your own.

If you have a holland and barrett near you you can get LME from there

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-malt-extract-60004303

The only thing is it's quite dark so if your brewing a paler beer this may effect the colour If you dont care what colour your beer, is like dont, it perfectly fine. What kit are you brewing?
H&B also do Potters malt extract but I've never used this
I use both the H and B and Potters. The potters is pretty dark and i use that for porters/stouts etc.I find the H and B one fine for most lighter beers
However i must agree with Terrym,get onto the supplier and have a moan.

Thanks for that couple more questions how much water do I mash the grains in and how much for sparging.

Tbh, I think terry has the right of it. HBC should be providing you with the correct amount of LME.

But just to answer your question, as you'll need to know as and when HBC hopefullymake good, you dont mash or sparge the grains, you only do that with AG. You'll need to steep them then add the steepings to the boil. As to how much water you use, at what temp, for how long, I dont know as I have never brewed an extract beer. I went from kit's to AG missing out the intermediary step of extract brewing. So I'll let an extract brewer answer that question

I use both the H and B and Potters. The potters is pretty dark and i use that for porters/stouts etc.I find the H and B one fine for most lighter beers
However i must agree with Terrym,get onto the supplier and have a moan.

I've only ever used the H&B extract for starters but it looks relavtively dark, kind of like amber coloured. Interesting you've used it for lighter beers. I would of though it would be too dark for anything ligher than amber coloured

I've only ever used the H&B extract for starters but it looks relavtively dark, kind of like amber coloured. Interesting you've used it for lighter beers. I would of though it would be too dark for anything ligher than amber coloured
Have bunged it into Bitters and IPA's etc. The Potters is really dark however.

Thanks guys ordered 4 kits and only got 3 have already been on to them about that, never actually checked the lme until this morning when I opened one of the kits to get the instructions, will take your advice and email them. Brew day cancelled until further notice:( Thanks Again.

I have a couple of the Mangrove Jack's light LME pouches and they are 1.5kg.

I note from their website that there is a MJ Rhineheitsgebot Enhancer which is 1.2kg...have they sent you the correct stuff???

Edit: I don't think they have from the descriptions on their website. I see that you also received 1 kit short on your order - I would point all this out in your email

The stuff I have just says pure malt enhancer on the bag, will wait and see what they say. Cheers mate.

Thanks guys ordered 4 kits and only got 3 have already been on to them about that, never actually checked the lme until this morning when I opened one of the kits to get the instructions, will take your advice and email them. Brew day cancelled until further notice:( Thanks Again.
Good to hear you are going back to HBC about their error.
When you finally get sorted....
1. Looking through the HBC extract kit contents list it looks like all the grains are steeping grains, and don't require mashing just as @MyQul says. In the absence of any instructions, I suggest you just steep the grains in water at about 65*C for 30 mins or so and then sparge with water at 80*C and use that liquor in the hop boil.
2. You don't have to boil all of the extract and in fact HBC do say that. I do extract brews with a 3 litre and a 5 litre pot brewing to about 16 litres and only use some of the LME in the boil. The rest just goes into the FV just like a kit.
3. If you do want to do a full extract boil with your 20 litre pot you could split the kit into two, and do half at a time.
4. And like others on here I have used both H&B LME types and they are fine. In fact I may well go back to using them since they are cheaper than the 'home brew' brands especially when on offer, and certainly better than HBC's unbranded LME which for me and a few others on here gave the beer a definite twang.

Back