Too much dry hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did Punk IPA with leaf which was 160g of dry hops. It formed a 5" layer on the top and I lost a lot of beer due to absorption. I now only use pellets and have really noticed the difference in extracting flavours.

Mine looked the same. A really thick layer of hop leaf on the surface. Huge amount of absorption.

I think I will use pellet hops for dry hopping next time.

Do you have to use more pellet hops to make up for the difference in extracting flavours? Or less?

Mine looked the same. A really thick layer of hop leaf on the surface. Huge amount of absorption.

Do you have to use more pellet hops to make up for the difference in extracting flavours? Or less?

you get 10% more extraction using pellets so that goes in your favour :-)

I lost about 10 bottles i think so close to 25%. I dont seem to lose much at all with pellets. You get more flavour but i would just use the same amount. If your adding to the boil they will add more bitterness though so check it on a brewing calc.

I've got the official Punk IPA kit on the go in FV #2 right now.
I'll be dry hopping that one on Friday. It already smells great.
All the hops that came in the Punk kit were in pellet form, so hopefully more manageable than the Hop Fiction.

I'v orered the punk IPA kit, looking at the data sheet it says to add hops to the boil at the start middle and end ?? doesn't specify when or boil length.
What was your hop schedule like for this one ?

I've given up dry hopping with leaf, though if I did I would either (1) use a bag and weigh it down with a spoon (some people squeeze the bag too), this works whether you are siphoning off or using a tap, or (2) have some sort of hop strainer/filter attached to the tap (this won't work with pellets).

What I do now though, and it hasn't given me problems, is chucking the pellets in and they fall to the bottom during the cold crash. I just siphon off carefully into a bottling bucket, so what little does pass through the siphon ends up settling the bottling bucket. I'll pulled off some pretty big dry hopping like this, and I'll do the same with my current brew: 100g Amarillo, 100g Galaxy and 30g Simcoe.

soooooooooo many hops bet it tastes like disinfectant :lol:

I'v orered the punk IPA kit, looking at the data sheet it says to add hops to the boil at the start middle and end ?? doesn't specify when or boil length.
What was your hop schedule like for this one ?

Yeah, the DIYDog instructions are a little vague in places aren't they?

There was a thread on this forum about the DIYDog recipes and @Linalmeemow recommended 20 mins for the 'middle' hops, so that's what I did.

I did a 60 min mash, 10 min mash out. Then a 60 min boil with hops at 60 mins, 20 mins, and at flame out at the end of the boil for a 20 min hop stand.

Yeah, the DIYDog instructions are a little vague in places aren't they?

There was a thread on this forum about the DIYDog recipes and @Linalmeemow recommended 20 mins for the 'middle' hops, so that's what I did.

I did a 60 min mash, 10 min mash out. Then a 60 min boil with hops at 60 mins, 20 mins, and at flame out at the end of the boil for a 20 min hop stand.
I've got the kit too, i plugged all the info into brewers friend to try and get the ibus etc from the data and hop qtys they give on the sheet inc 75 min mash too as directed. Still overshooting ibus a bit even with these timings. This is what i ended up with. Water qtys may be a tiny bit off as i cant recall what i lose from the mash (only just made a dipstick for boiler volume). Hope it helps.
1f6c04188628d5a750928f7851d4d009.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Believe me, if disinfectant smelt like that SWMBO wouldn't have to clean the bathroom. :lol:

Too many hops for me, i am afraid dont know how some of you drink the stuff. just lagering a Oktoberfest marzen, and the yeast has just arrived from white labs for another Marzen along with a Edinburgh scottish ale yeast to make a malty heavy, should be ready drinking for late Autumn -- Christmas time, :thumb:

Too many hops for me, i am afraid dont know how some of you drink the stuff. just lagering a Oktoberfest marzen, and the yeast has just arrived from white labs for another Marzen along with a Edinburgh scottish ale yeast to make a malty heavy, should be ready drinking for late Autumn -- Christmas time, :thumb:

I suffer from the terrible affliction that I love hoppy beers, malty beers, wheat beers, sour beers dubble, triple, quads, ris, aipa, dipa, saisons :whistle: not so sure about lager tho :mrgreen: variety is the spice of life and all that stuff. :grin:

Latest posts

Back