Royal Wootton Bassett homebrew shop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headlands

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to this? I went there once about 6 months ago and picked up some supplies (incl a Ritchie's Simply Pale Ale kit for £10.50). Popped in again today in passing and it's gone! The unit in the Arcade is empty, no signs on the door or anything.

The unfortunate problem with LHBSs is that it is a relatively small market for them to sell into, and customers don't go in there every week to buy stuff, so turnover must be quite small. My LHBS shut about a year ago and whenever I went in there was never anyone else in the place. Added to that lots of people buy off the internet at discounted prices probably from a larger selection and that reduces their customer base even more. Just remember what happened when Tesco had one of their frequent sales (before they stopped selling home brew stuff) people would come on here and gleefully tell us what they had bought at a big saving, all trade lost to LHBSs.

Sign of the times though unfortunately.

Unless they have a decent on-line presence I just don't see how they can compete. I tend to buy most of my brewing gear online as it usually cheaper, the delivery is free if you spend ~£65, and I have the convenience of it being delivered to my work rather than having to drive across town on a Saturday and try to find somewhere vaguely nearby to park.

Shame really as my recently opened local place is useful to me for Hambleton Bard CO2 refills but I only need one of those every six month or so at best. Can't see it lasting.

Latest posts

Back