Geterbrewed Craft-a-beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to good to be true.

I haven't done these, but I'd really like to know what LME they're using, in my experience homebrew shops offering cheap extract kits generally use cheap LME resulting in twangy/poor tasting brews.

Happy to be proved wrong, but my LHBS makes up these kind of kits and charges 30 quid for them, but uses branded Coopers LME and they're always great. Ones I've tried from other shops using unbranded LME have been horrible. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more and have a great brew than have an undrinkable "bargain". As I say though, happy to be proved wrong.

That's what concerned me too. A (sort of) custom-build two-can kit for not much at all.

Hopefully, someone has given it a try and can advise.

It is quite a boast to say "3kg of the World’s finest liquid malt extract, no finer malt extract is available at any price". Mind, it does imply it is Muntons.

That's what concerned me too. A (sort of) custom-build two-can kit for not much at all.

Hopefully, someone has given it a try and can advise.

It is quite a boast to say "3kg of the World’s finest liquid malt extract, no finer malt extract is available at any price". Mind, it does imply it is Muntons.

Have a look at the descriptions here and compare to those on the Get er Brewed page

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/category/canned-malt-extracts/

I have only ever pimped up kits and not done extract brewing as such, but I understand that dry extract gives fewer risks of twangy outcomes.

I use Geterbrewed but not for building a kit up.Why not order up what you need in the way of steeping grains,hops and dry extract from them instead.
If you have an idea of your intended brew,shove it through recipie builder and go from there.:thumb:

So a bit of Google-Fu on this and it turns out it's a no boil brew, essentially just a two can kit with some hop teabags for dry hopping and some hop extract for matching your desired IBU.

Still quite tempted, it does seem to be Munton's and from the ONE review I found online, it suggests that the LME is fresh looking at best before date.

Still quite tempting haha.

I did one of these. Tried to make a black IPA. It went very well and was tasting great out of the FV until I added the hop tea. No idea what happened but when I went to put it in bottles it had developed a strong solvent smell. After priming there was also a strong solvent flavour for a couple of months that slowly faded away, so I don't think it was infected. I wonder if I added the tea too hot and that upset the yeast? Either way, I don't think it was a problem with the kit.

I should add that once you've stuck the extras on it comes in at around £20, so not quite the bargain it may initially appear...

Latest posts

Back