Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > What do you use to sprinkle sparge water?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
r-evans

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default What do you use to sprinkle sparge water?

Wanting a cheap piece of kit for sparging.

Read that rotating sparge arms only work well if you use a pump.

Been trying to find one of these but can't locate one in UK. Simple to just attach to a hose.

Purchased:

10G Mash Tun with False Bottom
5G Fermentation Vessel
Wort Chiller
Digital Thermometers
Bottling Aids
Hoses and Connectors
All other small misc items

Still to buy:

Kettle
Sanitiser
Ingredients for 1st brew

Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
jceg316

Liked 153 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 150

The way I sparge is I have foil on top on the grain bed, and rest the return hose on there and slowly fill. When it's a couple of inches above the grain bed I slowly sparge. So in answer to your questing I don't use anything other than the hose itself. My efficiency didn't drop when I went to this from a rotating sparge arm.

Fermenting:
Golden Shower - Strong Golden Ale

Secondary:

Conditioning:
Freedom wine - American barleywine

Drinking:
Pacific Blonde
Green Bullet Pils
Harry Porter and the Quest for Chicken Nuggets - Coffee vanilla stout
Down Under Over n Out - APA

Homebrew and beer blog: http://www.honestbeerguide.com
People Like This 
Old 09-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Hoppyland

Liked 289 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Well, all I use is a jug.
This is my "lauter tun" - a 12l plastic bucket. In the bottom is a bazooka filter behind the tap, covered with perforated cooking foil. I ladle the mash into it from my mashing tun (a picnic box, no tap), and then add water gradually (at about 80-85C). All the time, I try to keep the outflow quite slow, so that the water level in the lauter tun is pretty well at the top. Every few minutes I pour in more hot water from the jug, working backwards and forwards across the grain. I guess sparging takes me about half an hour. Since I've been using my own malt mill, I regularly get over 80% efficiency even though the method is pretty crude!

Old 09-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
Fil

Liked 595 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 24

May i suggest giving batch sparging a go/try? it is so much simpler needing less attention input and materials (if your tun has sufficient capacity)

fwiw when fly sparging (infrequent) i will lay punctured foil on the grain bed, and the feed enters through silicone tube coiled ontop of the foil.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Antony

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Foil with holes, sprinkle on with a jug!

Old 10-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Rogermort

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Another one for a sheet of foil (in my case actually a giant flan case I inherited) with holes and the silicone hose is coiled on that.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
peebee
Out of Control

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/sp...ging-hose.html. Very versatile if you have a mashtun to fix it in and a pump or high (...er than mashtun) shelf/surface to put tens of litres of hot water (!).

(EDIT: The last comment is not a criticism of this device; ANY gravity fed "cascading" sparging system requires lifting vessels of very hot water onto high surfaces).

Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
r-evans

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceg316 View Post
The way I sparge is I have foil on top on the grain bed, and rest the return hose on there and slowly fill. When it's a couple of inches above the grain bed I slowly sparge. So in answer to your questing I don't use anything other than the hose itself. My efficiency didn't drop when I went to this from a rotating sparge arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyland View Post
Well, all I use is a jug.
This is my "lauter tun" - a 12l plastic bucket. In the bottom is a bazooka filter behind the tap, covered with perforated cooking foil. I ladle the mash into it from my mashing tun (a picnic box, no tap), and then add water gradually (at about 80-85C). All the time, I try to keep the outflow quite slow, so that the water level in the lauter tun is pretty well at the top. Every few minutes I pour in more hot water from the jug, working backwards and forwards across the grain. I guess sparging takes me about half an hour. Since I've been using my own malt mill, I regularly get over 80% efficiency even though the method is pretty crude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony View Post
Foil with holes, sprinkle on with a jug!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogermort View Post
Another one for a sheet of foil (in my case actually a giant flan case I inherited) with holes and the silicone hose is coiled on that.
I've seen people using foil and just bucketing the wort/HL on top but I think this is actually more work for me as I have a perfect 3 tier system with the worktop/chair/floor.

I just think it's a lot easier to be able to just open a couple of taps and let gravity do all the work.

Foil with hose seems like a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
May i suggest giving batch sparging a go/try? it is so much simpler needing less attention input and materials (if your tun has sufficient capacity)

fwiw when fly sparging (infrequent) i will lay punctured foil on the grain bed, and the feed enters through silicone tube coiled ontop of the foil.
Any reason you prefer batch sparging over fly other than less work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/sp...ging-hose.html. Very versatile if you have a mashtun to fix it in and a pump or high (...er than mashtun) shelf/surface to put tens of litres of hot water (!).
This looks good but for whatever reason that website never works for me, not sure if it's because I have a MacBook. It doesn't show prices or an 'add to basket' button.

Just tried on my phone too and the website is just messed up.

Purchased:

10G Mash Tun with False Bottom
5G Fermentation Vessel
Wort Chiller
Digital Thermometers
Bottling Aids
Hoses and Connectors
All other small misc items

Still to buy:

Kettle
Sanitiser
Ingredients for 1st brew

Old 11-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
yeastinfection

Liked 205 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-evans View Post
I've seen people using foil and just bucketing the wort/HL on top but I think this is actually more work for me as I have a perfect 3 tier system with the worktop/chair/floor.

I just think it's a lot easier to be able to just open a couple of taps and let gravity do all the work.

Foil with hose seems like a better idea.

Any reason you prefer batch sparging over fly other than less work?

This looks good but for whatever reason that website never works for me, not sure if it's because I have a MacBook. It doesn't show prices or an 'add to basket' button.

Just tried on my phone too and the website is just messed up.
doesnt link properly on my laptop either.
r-evans Likes This 
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
peebee
Out of Control

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-evans View Post
... This looks good but for whatever reason that website never works for me, not sure if it's because I have a MacBook. It doesn't show prices or an 'add to basket' button. ...
You're right! And it's not your MacBook. I'll give them a prod, but I guess they already know their Website has gone a bit wonky.

(EDIT: Got an answer; a tragic event meant the Website has been closed - put on "catalogue" mode - for a few days).
(EDIT: Fixed now!).
r-evans Likes This