Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Kit Reviews > Kenridge Classic Nebbiolo 30 bottle

Old 27-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #31
dublin12

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Good stuff, going same route myself. Playing with 5L WoWs while trying 7.5L then 10L and perhaps then 13L Kits
Wine tax in Ireland is out of control so even at a fiver per bottle it is still a bargain.

Might try a lager kit next - seems to be the same except you add sugar before bottling.

Old 31-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #32
Vinotinto

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Day 27

Preparing to rack , filter and bottle this tomorrow. have taken a sample which looks pretty clear in the glass and tastes pretty good to me despite having a bit of a cold which does not help the process!

One concern at this stage - after degassing etc the wine in the FV looked 'flat' with a completely uniform plain surface ( if that makes sense ). Since adding the Chitosan and stirring in 5 days ago the surface now looks like it has a slightly oily film on it and a few specks of something! I drew the sample from mid layers for obvious reasons but this oiliness concerns me a bit. Any ideas?

I am going to filter this before bottling anyway but wondered what the surface stuff could be and is it normal at this stage with one of these kits?

Cheers

Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #33
Vinotinto

Day 28

Bit disappointed on the lack of response to above question but , hey ho, cracked on today and bottled after filtering. Dropped it onto 5 campden tabs crushed despite no response from suppliers etc as to whether this is good or bad.

Managed to get 27 bottles and another 3/4 that will have to be disposed of in the proper way.

Verdict thus far - very impressed. Has good taste and body even at this early stage. Not sure if it is me or has the campdens altered the taste? Mmmm. Jury out on that one. Gut feeling is that I would bypass this stage next time and take a chance on anything that goes over the supposed 6 month stage.
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #34
Mikey

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Sorry I couldn't help with your previous post i dont have any experience with this matter.
A quick Google and it might of been early stages of mycoderma which sulfiting should have hopefully killed.
You should really sulfite the wine soon after fermentation has finished to protect against any bacteria
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 02-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #35
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Sorry I couldn't help with your previous post i dont have any experience with this matter.
A quick Google and it might of been early stages of mycoderma which sulfiting should have hopefully killed.
You should really sulfite the wine soon after fermentation has finished to protect against any bacteria
It seems ok ta. Added whatever they said to add, when they said to add it.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #36
Vinotinto

Still trying to get my head around this one. It seemed to bugger it up when I filtered lnto the 5 x Campdens. Had a touch of cloud to it when it had been crystal before and a slight 'not so great' taste when it had actually tasted much better a few days before. It has been in the bottle for a few days now and I have had a couple sitting inside in the 'warm'. Just opened one and it seems to have regained the status it had before and is actually back on my approval list!

So, is it because it was dropped onton the Campdens? Do they give it a bad taste which then disappates over time? I know it is early doors with this and most of them will be given much longer in the bottle but just seeking answers to why it went from good to not so good to better again in such a short space of time.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #37
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 2414 Times on 1997 Posts
Likes Given: 3078

I have read filtering can strip out flavour and there really should be no reason to do it, all my wine clears perfectly with Kwik clear or Young's clear it.

I use Campden tablets in all my wine and have never noticed a strange taste.
Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and W.O.W - here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=49462
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #38
Vinotinto

Been in the bottle a month now. Had one last night and it is improving.
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #39
dublin12

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 298

My 7.5L juice cellar 7 30 bottle of cab sauv smelled and tasted horrid on bottling.
2 weeks after the smell had mostly gone.
1 month later it is becoming a drinkable wine.

I'd say after 4 months it could possibly match a bought bottle of wine if it continues to improve.
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #40
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Don't be worried about the gap you really only need to worry about that when bulk aging for months

As for degassing they tell you to do it with a spoon several times a day for 4 days etc as most people don't own a drill degassing tool.

With the drill tool you dont have to degas for days just degas once and when your happy that it's thoroughly degassed then stop.

Vacuum degassing is far quicker and far better.
As you already own a glass carboy I will highly recommended purchasing either a vacuvin wine saver tool to vacuum degas your wine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...iML&ref=plSrch

Or even better a brake bleeding tool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...vWL&ref=plSrch

Something to look into id recommend watching some youtube videos if your interested
Couldn't help myself. Got a cheapie bleeder. Only had one dj of ginger wine to try it on and that has been throug the stages, been fined and sat clearing for weeks as because I am not keen on it have had no inclination to bottle it but - boy did it draw some gas out of it