Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Hops Advice

Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
braziliain

Liked 170 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywilde16 View Post
Thanks for the advice - I am thinking of Fuggles Hops in pellet form and will add them around 5 days before I am ready to bottle the brew.

I will probably use a hop bag as I do not want to risk getting any hop residue into the bottles - Brazilian did I read correctly you use a sock (boiled and sterilised) as a hop bag?

The bags of pellets are 100grams - would you put them all into the 23litre wort?
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse! It's a 'hop sock' I have. Just a small mesh bag with a drawstring which is intended for containing hops. A small muslin tied up would do the same thing. I grabbed mine for a few pence from the local homebrew shop.

I worked on a ratio of 30g for a 23L brew. I actually had 7.5L in my fermenter so used 30/23 x 7.5 = 10g
It turned out lovely
andywilde16 Likes This 
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #12
andywilde16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks I think I will go for somewhere between 30g-50grams of pellets in a muslin bag not packed in too tightly to allow them to grow slightly!

I am going to introduce them once the krausen has started to disappear and then leave them in there for around 5 days before I bottle to secondary ferment.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Thatsmyleg

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've been wondering about this recently. Some of the hops I've been buying has come as pellets inside what is essentially a giant teabag. It keeps the residue out of the boil, but the tea bags sit on the surface, making me wonder if it isn't a very efficient way of distributing the flavour. Is there a flavour/residue trade-off with putting pellets directly into your beer rather than containing them in some kind of bag?

Tags
bitter, fuggle, hops