Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Alcohol %

Old 16-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Lengie10

Default Alcohol %

Can anyone tell me how to add or reduce alcohol content - if it's at all possible? Is it sugar based or is it in the initial stages or brewing? I am using kits so this may be something I cannot control?

Old 16-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Robbo

Default Re: Alcohol %

The more sugar you put in the higher the strength. The ABV is easy to control by using a Hydrometer

Old 16-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
ryanshelton

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Don't just go lobbing a kg of sugar in though to up the abv or you'll end up with s very thin beer! Sometimes better adding syrup or something similar depending on your chosen kit

Old 16-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Lengie10

Current kit is St. Peter's ruby red but thinking more about a cider I am brewing. It's a wilco apple cider. Want to give it bit of oomph as it's for an Easter BBQ. It is a standard 40pt kit so if you can suggest what more sugar I should add? When you suggest syrup....what do you mean..surely not as simple as Tate and Lyle golden syrup???

Old 16-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
NickW

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For your cider I would replace ALL water required with value 100% apple juice. You should get a higher ABV and a much better cider. No need to add sugar

Old 16-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
ryanshelton

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Exactly as Nick says. Word of warning though, if it's for Easter it won't be it's best. Cider needs months to age properly

Old 16-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
peelman
Captain Awesome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can also top up with less water or apple juice or whatever you're using... If it's a 23ltr kit brew 19ltr for example...

Old 17-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
oldbloke

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lengie10
Current kit is St. Peter's ruby red but thinking more about a cider I am brewing. It's a wilco apple cider. Want to give it bit of oomph as it's for an Easter BBQ. It is a standard 40pt kit so if you can suggest what more sugar I should add? When you suggest syrup....what do you mean..surely not as simple as Tate and Lyle golden syrup???
Never add sugar to cider - the apple can't take it, not enough flavour to balance the alcohol.
Apple juice is the obvious thing to use, but is worth 5 to 6 % by itself: if you want to get higher ABV with plenty of apple flavour, seek out Suma apple juice concentrate (hippyfood shops)
Golden syrup would add a toffee-ish backnote. Could be interesting, but you wouldn't want too much or it'd probably swamp the apple. I've done melomels (fruit flavoured mead) using golden syrup instead of honey - everybody seems to like it, but all my friends like toffee.

Old 17-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
PaulCa

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cider kit + sugar is most likely going to turn out like "White Lightening", ie. cheap alco fuel that tastes like anti-freeze which was once introduced to an apple in the factory. Fine if that's what you want, but for a BBQ party, if your guests get stuck into it eagerly, I'd suggest barf pales.

Old 17-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Lengie10

What sort of quantity of syrup and when would it need to be added?? Is this done at initial mix and first ferment or is it something added when you transfer to a secondary FV or barrel?