Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Complete and Brewed Recipes > Brown Ale Centennial Brown Ale

Old 17-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Liked 807 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1422

I did it as BIAB. No problem there.

Old 17-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1150 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewed_Force View Post
Would I need to make any adjustments if I did this as BIAB ?
I was going to move from kits to small batch extract brewing, but may just skip extract and go straight to BIAB.
No treat it as exactly the same, the methods are different, with BIAB you put all your mash and sparge water into your pot to begin with , mash as normal and then mash out without a sparge and boil.. or traditional you mash in a tun drain this out / sparge and then you proceed to boil in your boiler.

Belgian Wit
English Golden Ale

Fermenting / Conditioning

Blackcat (Black IPA) AG 5.6%
Pale comparison (blonde ale) Partial OG 1049

Drinking

Pseudo Slovenian Pilsner AG.. 5.2%
C Bomb (American IPA) AG 5.6%
Bluberry TC 4.8%
Steam Punk (Steam Beer) AG.. 5%

Old 17-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

I do a sort of half and half method I suppose, as my pot isn't quite big enough. I mash at about 67*C in enough water to take it up to 3 l/kg, then decant that to a sterile bucket and cover. I then add 80*C (ish) water to the pot to take up to 13l total volume and stick the bag into that, give it a stir about and mash that for another 15 - 20 mins. I don't think it really needs that time, but I end up with acceptable efficiency so I just kept doing it. Take the bag out and let it drain for a few minutes, add you bucket from the mash and boil. Sometimes I lose loads in the boil, so if it drops below the 10l mark on my pot, I just top up with the kettle.

Old 17-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #14
Brewed_Force

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If I went the BIAB route, what volume of water would I start with to end up with 10L of wort ? (not including losses from the hop boil)

FV1: Empty
Bottled: Sheepdogs Pride Bitter, XXXX Bitter, Helles Bock, 'Marzen' Lager, 'Old Chestnut' Special Bitter, Better Brew Czech Pilsner, Geordie Mild, Coopers English Bitter, Milk Stout, Coopers Draught with LME ('Light Ale')
Next Up: Festival Father Hook Bitter Kit
After that: BIAB Old Ale (Hobgoblin/Old Peculier hybrid)

Old 17-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1150 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich

Quote:
If I went the BIAB route, what volume of water would I start with to end up with 10L of wort ? (not including losses from the hop boil)
Assume you mean full BIAB? Hard to say as different equipment works differently but for this recipe you could probably get away with around 14 liters to start with, the grain bill is pretty low, this post mash/ mash out would give you about 12ish liters which you will boil off a liter or two..

There are variables because the quicker you cool , the intensity of the boil ect ect and you will like you say loose some to trub..

It is trial and error though with your own setup.

Belgian Wit
English Golden Ale

Fermenting / Conditioning

Blackcat (Black IPA) AG 5.6%
Pale comparison (blonde ale) Partial OG 1049

Drinking

Pseudo Slovenian Pilsner AG.. 5.2%
C Bomb (American IPA) AG 5.6%
Bluberry TC 4.8%
Steam Punk (Steam Beer) AG.. 5%

Old 17-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Quote:
Try 13 - 14 and see where it gets you. You can always adjust next time... and there will be a next time, believe me
geetee Likes This 
Old 18-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #17
geetee

Liked 557 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlaw View Post
Try 13 - 14 and see where it gets you. You can always adjust next time... and there will be a next time, believe me
I'm not usually a fan of dark beers but am forcing myself to make and drink a few more brown ales, stouts and porters. The comments on this beer have convinced me to give it a go.

I am more used to Newcastle Brown and this Doesn't sound like a traditional nutty brown ale with chocolate and centennial, sounds more like a dark (chocolate) IPA!

Brewing for fun is a serious business!

Old 18-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
I'm not usually a fan of dark beers but am forcing myself to make and drink a few more brown ales, stouts and porters. The comments on this beer have convinced me to give it a go.

I am more used to Newcastle Brown and this Doesn't sound like a traditional nutty brown ale with chocolate and centennial, sounds more like a dark (chocolate) IPA!
As they say roond wor neck of the woods; it's a pure belter. Nowt like Newcastle Brown, darker, richer and really refreshing. I'll up the hops a touch next time, just a touch though, I don't want to spoil it.
geetee Likes This 
Old 18-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #19
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3450 Times on 2691 Posts
Likes Given: 3584

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post

I've only tasted newcastle brown once and it was sh*te. My recent Hung, Drawn and Quartered Norther Brown and Dad's Ale's American Apollo that had off him in his bottle swap were a million miles better than the insipid cack that is the modern version of Newkie brown (I understand it tastes completely different now to what it did many years ago)
Milk Mild/Stout
Tin Miners Ale

geetee Likes This 
Old 18-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
geetee

Liked 557 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlaw View Post
As they say roond wor neck of the woods; it's a pure belter. Nowt like Newcastle Brown, darker, richer and really refreshing. I'll up the hops a touch next time, just a touch though, I don't want to spoil it.
I used to be partial to a bottle of dog now and again but had to be ice cold but will definitely give this a go.

MyQuls comments reminded me of that well known Newcastle law firm "Hadaway and Sh!te" t'was a fine brew in its day (beloved by my Late father in Law several time a night) but not so good now!

Brewing for fun is a serious business!