California Connisseur Malbec

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow great link dublin12 definitely worth a read -

TBH i wouldnt like to lift a glass carboy full of beer or wine and imagine they are a bitch to clean with such a small hole in the top.

2201244932_547b1db615.jpg

Message received, point taken and thank you but...........

I question the handle as the cause of the example pictured by nature of the location of the 'break'. Reckln that has had a knock or something hot maybe.

Yes - quite a few threads on the subject even on just that forum. There is one thread where you can see stress fractures at the neck. If you can support the thing underneath it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware: Sod's law will prevail eventually. I find even my 5 gallon PETs are tricky to lug around. As someone said on that thread "I whine and moan it to its destination"

Last edited:
eagerly awaiting your update on this. :grin:

Ok had a glass of this last night - still cold from the shed but ..

Basically if I was looking for a cheap alternative to a daily wine then this would be fine albeit lacking. The wife drinks 1 bottle red a night so perhaps I can persuade her to switch over at some stage. Definitely worth having as an emergency wine in the house. Cost of the kit was €65 so €2 euro a bottle ish.

Taste is nice - not as good as a purchased bottle of wine though but it has nice elements of fruit and alcohol in it. Need to figure out how to introduce a bit more "bite" into the wine.

If I were doing it again I would consider adding RGJ to it instead of Water.

So - perfectly drinkable, easy to make, but certainly not same sort of drink as purchased wine.

[Aware that the wine is basically only a month old so lets see what happens in 6 months - I will update then]

Might try a 10L white wine kit next just to go through all the variables.

I know you are not meant to mess wit these kits but your rgj suggestion may be a good idea or perhaps also Youngs red wine enricher? Have just received the Pinot Noir box of this stuff. Could it also be something to do with that these only have 7.5l of juice compared to the Kenridge Classics having 10l?

With delivery / currency etc its sorta the same price as if I imported it plus little delay.

€3.33 a bottle or so...if it's as good as an 8-10 euro bottle then quids in !

Ok had a glass of this last night - still cold from the shed but ..

Basically if I was looking for a cheap alternative to a daily wine then this would be fine albeit lacking. The wife drinks 1 bottle red a night so perhaps I can persuade her to switch over at some stage. Definitely worth having as an emergency wine in the house. Cost of the kit was €65 so €2 euro a bottle ish.

Taste is nice - not as good as a purchased bottle of wine though but it has nice elements of fruit and alcohol in it. Need to figure out how to introduce a bit more "bite" into the wine.

If I were doing it again I would consider adding RGJ to it instead of Water.

So - perfectly drinkable, easy to make, but certainly not same sort of drink as purchased wine.

[Aware that the wine is basically only a month old so lets see what happens in 6 months - I will update then]

Might try a 10L white wine kit next just to go through all the variables.
One of the main differences between this and commercial wines is that all the CC kits come out around the 11.5% mark, whereas a south american version will be nearer 14%. Unless you beef it up a bit along the way it's always going to lack a degree of bite for that reason alone.

Back